Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
Empada

Default Fighting against Invisible enemy - Work around and modifiers

Hi, I’m GMing a kind of supers game, TL7 , but most people don’t know about powers existence.

One of the PCs can be invisible and carry light encumbrance and no other restriction. Their enemy are getting clues about this power and started using counter-measures to fight back.

Last fight scene there are a lot of “shooting blind” against him and “hitting the wrong target” against other party members. Their opponents also have time to realize someone was invisible, so they started using fire extinguisher and fire hose to locate him. So, I improvised some bonus when he gets hit by the water (he wasn’t hit by the fire extinguisher) to counter the -10 penalty, there was the muzzle flash too.

So, I would like some ideas of methods normal people could use against him (smoke, water, fire..) and advice how to handle the modifiers.
Empada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
lachimba

Default Re: Fighting against Invisible enemy - Work around and modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post
Hi, I’m GMing a kind of supers game, TL7 , but most people don’t know about powers existence.

One of the PCs can be invisible and carry light encumbrance and no other restriction. Their enemy are getting clues about this power and started using counter-measures to fight back.

Last fight scene there are a lot of “shooting blind” against him and “hitting the wrong target” against other party members. Their opponents also have time to realize someone was invisible, so they started using fire extinguisher and fire hose to locate him. So, I improvised some bonus when he gets hit by the water (he wasn’t hit by the fire extinguisher) to counter the -10 penalty, there was the muzzle flash too.

So, I would like some ideas of methods normal people could use against him (smoke, water, fire..) and advice how to handle the modifiers.
Where are you getting the minus ten penalty from?

Its not total darkness.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Empada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Where are you getting the minus ten penalty from?

Its not total darkness.
shooting blind, 389. it say to use the wild swing rules, but with -10 penalty.

I can be using the wrong rule, not sure.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
Anaraxes

B394 puts the penalty for being unable to see your target, while still being able to see your surroundings, at -6. Usually you get a Sense roll to try to locate the target. (Often Hearing for humans, but tricks like the fire extinguisher might be a reason to allow other senses.) If you know the exact hex your target is in, then the roll is -4.

If you can't see your attacker, then you have penalties to your defense.

The -10 penalty is for total darkness -- you can't even orient yourself to your surroundings, much less one target. It's also only for characters that are accustomed to having sight. A blind person in total darkness is only at -6.

If the situation is going to come up a lot, the characters may want to pick up the Blind Fighting skill (B180).

Area effect attacks target a hex, not a character in that hex, so the -6 penalty wouldn't apply. (In fact, you get a bonus for attacking a hex rather than a person in that hex.) Remember that AoE attacks can have a size of 1 hex. Knowing which hex to attack is still the main problem, of course. But the "overkill" solutions can help there. Set the entire room on fire, deploy claymore mines...

The Suppression Fire rules on B409 are another way to attack an area without having to target an invisible entity within it.

"Invisible" usually means "to normal human sight". There are a lot of fictionally-common technological countermeasures. Sometimes invisibility doesn't work on machines like cameras. Invisibility in the visible spectrum may not include invisibility to infrared or ultraviolet, or going further afield, radar. Microphones can be used to triangulate sounds (imagine a sensitive version of the systems some police departments use to locate gunshots). A super-sensitive version might be able to localize a target from its movement displacing air. Chemical detectors might be able to "scent" the target, though localization is usually harder in this case. The applicability of a lot of this depends on exactly how the invisibility is supposed to work in your setting, but it does give the super-normals and Gadgeteers an angle to pursue.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
Empada

Thanks, I didn't recall this rule during the play, only wild swing. next session I will use this.

the fire extinguisher and water hose are to help the enemy (drug dealer mob) find him.

with modifiers are good for finding him in:
1. light smoke area
2. medium smoke area
3. heavy smoke area
4. floor with some water puddles
5. floor with lots of water puddles
6. light rain
7. heavy rain
8. luck hit of water jet

Now about suppressing fire, what is a good method (besides common sense) to determine with hex to attack (as a GM, I know were everyone is, and I want to be fair) and how to mix this with hitting the wrong target (it could be a hex in front of him).

Tags
invisibility, invisible, modifiers