Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
So what you're saying the limit on HP drain is set by the level of the advantage you buy, rather than the number of people in the area. So in order to drain more than 1-HP per use, you'd need more levels.

Why don't you need to buy up Innate Attack in the same way?
I may very well be wrong. Area Effect is a great enhancement, but the healing factor and this text from Powers p. 96 is what motivates me.

"Leech 1 costs 25 points; successive levels cost 4 points apiece. For example, to drain 10 HP per second requires Leech 10, which costs 25 + 9 X 4 = 61 points."

And I think it's just more balanced to say if you can drain N HP, you need Leech Level N
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I may very well be wrong. Area Effect is a great enhancement, but the healing factor and this text from Powers p. 96 is what motivates me.

"Leech 1 costs 25 points; successive levels cost 4 points apiece. For example, to drain 10 HP per second requires Leech 10, which costs 25 + 9 X 4 = 61 points."

And I think it's just more balanced to say if you can drain N HP, you need Leech Level N
But how is this different than Innate Attack? You pay for levels of IA as well, yet Area Effect does that level of damage to all targets in the area. I would think the same would be true for Leech.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the reasoning.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
But how is this different than Innate Attack? You pay for levels of IA as well, yet Area Effect does that level of damage to all targets in the area. I would think the same would be true for Leech.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the reasoning.
Innate Attack does not heal you in the process!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Kyra

Quote:
What about leaving the damage alone and just limit the healing?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Jerander

Quote:
True, but aren't you paying for the additional healing effect with the cost of Leech?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
Jerander

Would it be worthwhile to consult Kromm or RPK on this one? I've never contacted them before, so I'm not familiar with the protocols involved. Can I just PM either a polite question?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
the_matrix_walker

Yep, they are fabulous about this sort of thing! Just ask away!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

One has to treat Leech like Innate Attack here and simply have it inflict its injury on everyone affected. Healing should be proportional to total HP robbed. However, note that Leech has an innate limitation: "You can only affect one victim at a time." Even if you're some 100-armed super-grappler, you cannot grab 50 victims and use Leech on them all; and even if you have Extra Attack 19, you cannot zap 20 people with Leech (Malediction 1, +100%; Ranged, +40%) to drain them. This is intrinsic to the advantage itself, not to its means of delivery – Leech can only process one HP stream at a time. To get around that, you would need Cosmic, +50%.

Even leaving off Ranged, look at the sheer expense of Leech with Area Effect 1, +50% (you can't add Emanation, -20% to get points back, as Leech without Ranged has no range in the first place), Cosmic, Multiple victims, +50%, and Malediction 1, +100%. That's +200%, or 75 points + 12 points/level. I think that's rather hard to abuse.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
One has to treat Leech like Innate Attack here and simply have it inflict its injury on everyone affected. Healing should be proportional to total HP robbed. However, note that Leech has an innate limitation: "You can only affect one victim at a time." Even if you're some 100-armed super-grappler, you cannot grab 50 victims and use Leech on them all; and even if you have Extra Attack 19, you cannot zap 20 people with Leech (Malediction 1, +100%; Ranged, +40%) to drain them. This is intrinsic to the advantage itself, not to its means of delivery – Leech can only process one HP stream at a time. To get around that, you would need Cosmic, +50%.

Even leaving off Ranged, look at the sheer expense of Leech with Area Effect 1, +50% (you can't add Emanation, -20% to get points back, as Leech without Ranged has no range in the first place), Cosmic, Multiple victims, +50%, and Malediction 1, +100%. That's +200%, or 75 points + 12 points/level. I think that's rather hard to abuse.
Thank you!

Now I get to go back and adjust some builds to remove Emanation and include Cosmic...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

But what if you want to build a draining effect that radiates from your body without affecting you?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area of effect, auras of power, leech, malediction, multiple victims, ranged