Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #91
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

My current voice-chat game is pretty close to a realm management game. After a player observed at the end of the session that we did very little dice rolling that night, I wondered briefly what gurps specifically brought to this game. My internal answer: it brought answers to questions about running a fantasy kingdom in a satisfying way that didn't require much work before hand.

If I want to know how much tax the players have access to when ruling the kingdom... that's in Gurps. If I want to know how much they have to pay to field the kingdom's army... that's in Gurps too. If I want to know how dangerous a city-wide riot is in terms of the troops... city stats and mass combat tells me the combat strength of the entire city up in arms. If I need to know how much a food to feed one-fifth of the kingdom costs because my players and considering a stupidly large import project -- Gurps has a good framework for that (and robust enough that I'm not worried about the numbers making it miraculously work and destroying one of the core dilemmas of the campaign).

And I really don't have to worry about it until I need it.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #92
Emerikol
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
My current voice-chat game is pretty close to a realm management game. After a player observed at the end of the session that we did very little dice rolling that night, I wondered briefly what gurps specifically brought to this game. My internal answer: it brought answers to questions about running a fantasy kingdom in a satisfying way that didn't require much work before hand.
Your game sounds interesting. In my campaigns of the past, especially at higher levels, there as always been a lot of realm management. It didn't take over the play session so much as the time in between. I'd field calls from players say "when I get back to town be sure to do this or that". I've had them do everything from run businesses to manipulate empires. It definitely drives up the stakes and makes adventuring more fun as well.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #93
GodBeastX
 
GodBeastX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Behind You
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
The chapter in GURPS space (3e as I haven't got 4e yet but probably will when I play a sci-fi campaign) about generating star systems is pretty awesome and really useful for any sci-fi campaign that covers a lot of star systems.
100x yes on this!
__________________
RPG Jutsu.com - Ninjas Play GURPS
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #94
maximara
On Notice
 
maximara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sumter, SC
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
So many GURPS sourcebooks fall into that category. The chapter in GURPS space (3e as I haven't got 4e yet but probably will when I play a sci-fi campaign) about generating star systems is pretty awesome and really useful for any sci-fi campaign that covers a lot of star systems.
One of the things I do for the GURPSwiki is add links to sites and free programs to help GMs. GURPS Space has links to:
*StarGen (website)
*Star System Generator (donjon)
*Star System Generator (sfrpgtools)
*Solar System Generator (RanGen)
__________________
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links. Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:54 AM   #95
Emerikol
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
One of the things I do for the GURPSwiki is add links to sites and free programs to help GMs. GURPS Space has links to:
*StarGen (website)
*Star System Generator (donjon)
*Star System Generator (sfrpgtools)
*Solar System Generator (RanGen)
Those look cool! Thanks for sharing.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #96
Angle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lafayette, COlorado
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

For the windfalls, how long do the Resource Discovery and Bumper Crop last? Is that 1 additional resource point from each of them, per turn, forever? And for Plague, it seems like it should have the same chance to resolve itself as Drought/Famine does.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #97
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Unless otherwise noted Immediate Effects last one turn for windfalls. For disruptions the Long-Term effects last until you counter them. You can swap up Plague to work like Famine if you want.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:25 PM   #98
Angle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lafayette, COlorado
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Unless otherwise noted Immediate Effects last one turn for windfalls. For disruptions the Long-Term effects last until you counter them. You can swap up Plague to work like Famine if you want.
For windfalls, the ones I mentions say 'Immediate: +1d Resource points. Long term: +1 Resource Points. Which implies that that +1 Resource point is every turn. Otherwise, why not just write it as 'Immediate: 1d+1 Resource Points'? But it doesn't explicitly say 'every turn', which leaves a lot of ambiguity.

Edit: Wait, no, I think I figured it out. It's +1d Resource Points, with an additional +1 the next turn on a successful Allocate Resources maneuver. Okay, got it. XD

Last edited by Angle; 12-08-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #99
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
For windfalls, the ones I mentions say 'Immediate: +1d Resource points. Long term: +1 Resource Points. Which implies that that +1 Resource point is every turn. Otherwise, why not just write it as 'Immediate: 1d+1 Resource Points'? But it doesn't explicitly say 'every turn', which leaves a lot of ambiguity.

Edit: Wait, no, I think I figured it out. It's +1d Resource Points, with an additional +1 the next turn on a successful Allocate Resources maneuver. Okay, got it. XD
Yup. You got it.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:45 PM   #100
Angle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lafayette, COlorado
Default Re: GURPS Realm Management

For Renewing Resource, can a realm combine an appropriate action with another action? Like, say a realm has 'Renewing Resource: Iron Mine, Level 2'. Can they spend two actions to mine iron, and a third action on Marshal Manpower, without incurring any penalties? Or would they have to choose between another action with no penalties, or spending three actions to mine iron with no penalties?

Edit: Similarly, can a realm take multiple levels of Maneuver Mastery, and then do all of those actions, each turn, with no penalty? Say, MM: Allocate Resources + MM: Marshal manpower, and then do an Allocate Resources + Marshal Manpower + another action each turn, at no penalty?

Last edited by Angle; 12-08-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
realm management

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.