Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #25
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Underground Fights in a Tourist Resort in the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Supportive reality check: there have been News Corp tabloid reports about a company offering sex parties somewhere in the Caribbean with a starter price on the order of 1,000-1,500 USD/customer-day. It was moved from Columbia to "a drug-friendly island" after the organizers offended the locals.

They have PR people with a knack for social media and tabloids, they are avoiding anything drastically illegal, and they still get tens (not hundreds) of johns for each party. I don't trust tabloids, but that strikes me as plausible based on my bohemian life in the swingin' New Country, because just like most people can get their vicarious violence kick at mostly-safe contact sports like hockey or MMA, most people can get their sex drugs and rock and roll kick through a swingers' party, a rave, or a weekend date with a couple of sex workers in a nice hotel in the nearest big city.
Indeed.

And sex, drugs and rock & roll are, at least, very understandable desires, really. Whereas the desire to see people fight each other to death for your amusement is not, in fact, one with as much mainstream appeal, at least in today's society.

Granted, maybe we, as a society or even species, are denying our natures. Perhaps we all lust for more blood and death in our sanitized existence, to commune with our primal nature as apes who still want to kill any stray stranger not of our tribe, rape anyone not already gravid with our seed and eat young not genetically related to us. If so, however, we seem to have successfully managed to control our baser urges with social pressures and fear of what others will say. Thus conscience doth make cowards of us all.

Regardless, whether we view people who would like to hunt other people for sport as decadent deviants or self-realized heroes throwing off the unnatural shackles of dehumanizing and alienating capitalistic society, I think it's pretty clear that they are a distinct minority.

Tags
bloodsports, caribbean, fighters, martial arts, monster hunters