Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2022, 02:29 AM   #41
Lancewholelot

Default Re: Hex vs Square

Have you not seen CGP Grey? Hexagons are the bestagons. Jump to 7:36 for why this is in games.
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #42
Duringar

Well after a few solo games I can see the appeal for using miniatures in combat. It doesn't lend to the rules aspect of the game, it just is something that I can add to the rolling of dice and make it a bit more ...immersive?...more than reading a "choose-your-own-adventure"'esque book.

Though I do use a square map rather than a hex one. The only one I could find without breaking the bank.

Again, thank you to everyone that replied. I see where it has its merits.
Duringar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #43
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duringar View Post
Well after a few solo games I can see the appeal for using miniatures in combat. It doesn't lend to the rules aspect of the game, it just is something that I can add to the rolling of dice and make it a bit more ...immersive?...more than reading a "choose-your-own-adventure"'esque book.

Though I do use a square map rather than a hex one. The only one I could find without breaking the bank.

Again, thank you to everyone that replied. I see where it has its merits.
I don't understand the "only one I could find without breaking the bank" comment. MapTools is free and you can have the grid either square or hexagon and there are hexagon grids you can printout all over the internet if you don't want to use MapTools.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:29 PM   #44
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Notably very few square grid games have facing.
Sensible. For instance a square grid can't simulate oblique attacks which are a bit subtle.

At Leuthen Frederick made an oblique advance. When he arrived it collapsed part of the Austrian line but it also meant each unit was potentially subject to concentrated fire until the next arrived. Any simulation has to allow for both effects.