Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #141
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Can't you use a recap sheet to capture the info in the cells that you want and then print that? You may need to go to the trouble of copying and pasting 'as value' but it should work. Been a while since I opened that up so maybe not.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #142
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Can't you use a recap sheet to capture the info in the cells that you want and then print that? You may need to go to the trouble of copying and pasting 'as value' but it should work. Been a while since I opened that up so maybe not.
I know so little about Excel that when I've been posed questions about it for a school project I passed them along to another team member at risk of a lower grade for myself. (I'd rather admit ignorance than fake knowledge I don't have, especially when other people involved are knowledgeable.) The last time I took a class in Excel, Excel 97 was a pretty new thing.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 11-27-2010 at 07:47 PM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #143
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

In Excel you would create a second Worksheet in the same Workbook. Rename it Output or Print Version etc. To automatically get info from the Spaceships Design Spreadsheet you would use this format on the Output Worksheet -'name of first sheet!'cell reference. Cell References are usually in Column/Row format. So - (Spaceships!A1) returns the displayed value in A1 on the Spaceships sheet. This allows you reposition the output data anyway that you want.

Haven't opened OO's spread sheet in a long time but I can't imagine that you can't make such a recap sheet in it.

Sorry to be off topic here but I think it would be helpful to people that are trying to get a handle on their output.

Last edited by Joseph Paul; 11-28-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Egregious syntax error in Excel instructions
Joseph Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #144
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
In Excel you would create a second Worksheet in the same Workbook. Rename it Output or Print Version etc. To automatically get info from the Spaceships Design Spreadsheet you would use this format on the Output Worksheet -(name of first sheet!cell reference) Cell References are usually in Column/Row format. So - (Spaceships!A1) returns the displayed value in A1 on the Spaceships sheet. This allows you reposition the output data anyway that you want.

Haven't opened OO's spread sheet in a long time but I can't imagine that you can't make such a recap sheet in it.

Sorry to be off topic here but I think it would be helpful to people that are trying to get a handle on their output.
That's Eric's "problem" if he were to choose to do it. I wasn't complaining that I didn't like his work, just how I'd improve it.

Quote:
Old 11-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #145
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

To each his own - and before I get blasted it looks like it is 'name of sheet!'cell ref. Single quotes not parantheses. Oops.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #146
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

A lot of points to hit here. Hopefully I don't miss anything important. One thing I will note right now is that I'm in school and finals are coming up. I may try to tackle some of this stuff during Christmas Break, but there's no way I can hit it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaDoom View Post
Thank you again for this awesome spreadsheet, it makes my life so much easier when it comes to making ships (I make a lot).
You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoy it.

Quote:
Now if I could have options for half-modules or even quarter modules.. ;)
I did a little work to see how practical this would be and came to the conclusion it would be a lot more work than I was willing to put in. As a half-step what I may do at some point is allow for user created modules, where you could build "half/half" modules, Reconfigurable Modules, or any other modules to your own desire.

Quote:
Or actually a really sweet option would be for the ability to "trade up" or "trade down" weapons...
Again, I'm not sure how practical that would be. Weapon sizes are somewhat rigid for a given SM of ship. It may be possible to create some mounts with some smaller sizes, but allowing true "mix-n-match" would be hideously complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
My biggest complaint about this spread sheet is that it doesn't have the most useful format for presentation. The worksheet page is excellent and works well for on-screen presentation, but for a printout it doesn't fare as well. (Tons of "extra stuff" on the sides that doesn't fit well.)
What "extra stuff" are you talking about? I mean, there are all the checkboxes and option selectors off to the right, but all of those generate Notes, so is completely unnecessary for the actual printout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
If I were to overhaul it I'd probably remove the second spaceship form at the bottom and put the extra settings there and have an additional book that was a printer-friendly version that repeated the data from the worksheet.
If I were to start over I might do something similar. The sheet started out much simpler, but slowly grew with the options added in later books.

Actually, creating a separate worksheet for each ship which is a little more printer friendly might not be a bad addition. I'll think about it.

As an aside, are you using MSOffice or OpenOffice? The "Hide Unused Rows" checkbox makes the printout a lot cleaner, but relies on the core Macro to hide/unhide the rows.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #147
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
As an aside, are you using MSOffice or OpenOffice? The "Hide Unused Rows" checkbox makes the printout a lot cleaner, but relies on the core Macro to hide/unhide the rows.
Usually MS Office. The only time I use OOo is on a netbook and the sheet has some problems on such a small screen using it.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #148
SalsaDoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I did a little work to see how practical this would be and came to the conclusion it would be a lot more work than I was willing to put in. As a half-step what I may do at some point is allow for user created modules, where you could build "half/half" modules, Reconfigurable Modules, or any other modules to your own desire.
Actually, user created modules would be perfect. I tend to create a lot of custom stuff in my games and sort of hand-wave their presence, although, as a former vehicles 3d ed person, it makes me cringe to do so. ;P

This would take care of a lot of stuff and add in some flexibility for people (like me, I guess) who might have custom weapons, and actually custom engines. Converting a ship from Vehicles 3rd ed to SS can be a brutal cutting process... making my ships complex to the point of near unmanageably was one of my favorite things about the old system ;)

Quote:
Again, I'm not sure how practical that would be. Weapon sizes are somewhat rigid for a given SM of ship. It may be possible to create some mounts with some smaller sizes, but allowing true "mix-n-match" would be hideously complex.
This isn't terrible to do on paper actually, because you can really just "up" 3 peripheral guns to the next size up, then do it again and again manually until you have a number thats something more accessible. I think technically, rules wise, you can only do it once but I don't think the original designers imagined +24 sizemod ships with billions of potential guns :D This might actually be something that could be done by custom modules anyway.

That all said, you've done so much that I always feel bad for asking for a feature.
SalsaDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #149
Daigoro

Quote:
Actually, user created modules would be perfect. I tend to create a lot of custom stuff in my games and sort of hand-wave their presence, although, as a former vehicles 3d ed person, it makes me cringe to do so. ;P
Just to let you know, if you're running this on Excel, it's actually fairly easy to add some user-created systems without breaking the program. Just make sure to save your edited version under a different name first, then poke around in the hidden worksheets.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #150
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Some questions:
  1. Is it me, or are the Boost Drives absent?
  2. Is there a way to dedicate cargo (or at least cargo in the Weapon Batteries) to ammo?
  3. The No Computer variant is absent too, right?

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet