Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-14-2021, 10:17 PM   #1
lordtarim

Default The Fantasy Trip Adventure Leauge?

Is there any interest from the TFT hive mind in a structured competitive leauge like play setup to pitch to shops and hobby stores to get more people interested and exposed to The Fantasy Trip?

I have an idea how to set it up and a possible interesting tie in for more decks of destiny style card goodies.

Is this something worth looking more into?
What are peoples thoughts on joining a competitive leauge?
lordtarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:30 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip Adventure Leauge?

Great idea! I’d be interested to see how this progresses.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:08 AM   #3
Shostak

Could you more fully describe? It's not clear to me how RPG groups across the globe could be in competition with each other.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
lordtarim

So the general idea would be to produce a cheap softcover (and PDF) of a series of 12 challenges/adventure setups linked together with a short story arc that would be scaleable to the number of players.

2 adventures for 32pt or less characters, 2 for 33pts or less, 2 for 34pts, 2 for 35pts, and 4 for 36pt or less characters.

They would use the cool dyson maps that have come out for the combat setups, or people could use the hex tiles or regular map with markers if they did not have those.

You would start the season and give one month for each group interested to play out the challenges and report their results online, say 2 adventures a month, progressing the survivors up to 36pt characters over the 6 month run of the season. Track each group with a code for the adventure book so they can record their results.

After each reporting peroid you could have an update or leader board tracking, damage taken, personal kills, succesful 5 die or more rolls, inovative aproaches players SUCCEDED in coming up with to the challenges ect...

At the end of the season you would take the "winners/survivors", have each group submit a SHORT BIO on their Characters and then turn those into new NPC decks of destiny style cards to use/sell. Each could have a number on them that then could later be used in future adventures produced to substitute NPC's for the new "winners" produced, providing a second use beyond GM creation or ramdom generation for the cards.

What do people think?

What does STEVE THINK?
(Please chime in on this Steve, im very interested in working on something like this)

What improvements or suggestions do you have?

Lets brainstorm!

You can contact me further at Galaxy.System.Games@Gmail.com
Old 05-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
timm meyers

My 2 cents

1. Data Base for player characters to be stored and verified play/stats/equipment

2. "season" parameters of dates (ex. June 1st thru Oct. 1st), # adventures and or arenas available.

3. Online community page

OK that's 3 cents

This is a great idea to grow the player base and judging by the success of the Fanzine alone, I would say there is plenty of interested current players whether it is sanctioned/supported by SJG or not.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:36 AM   #6
ParadoxGames

You're welcome to use the Discord server (link in my signature) to organize it.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
Shostak

Sounds nifty.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
timm meyers

What do you think the size of an adventure/dungeon/encounter thread would best work for a league play.
A 4 hour block seems reasonable - so a game with 4 strangers and a GM could be expected to get through how many battles?
Is 30 minutes a fair estimate for 4 characters to fight 4 enemies?
5 encounters = average of 2.5 hours leaves 1.5 hours for game starts-roleplay-etc. ??
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:48 AM   #9
larsdangly

I think people who know the game can resolve a moderate-sized encounter in about half that time (15 minutes). But it's tricky to pace a session by encounters alone, both because you can't be sure players will just agree to be funneled into fight after fight (mine never go for that sort of railroading!), and there are other things that happen as well. Actually, I'm not sure how to standardize the duration of something like this; it depends so much on how the GM runs things and way players react to situations.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
lordtarim

So to elaborate a little more each "adventure" would have 5 parts.

1: Set up and preperation for adventure.

2: Travel to the adventure location with random encounter (combat or non combat rolled for, then roll for type).

3: A puzzle or riddle - and this could be swapped for #4

4: The main combat/ or challenge.

5: Wrap up/travel back and cliff hanger for next adventue.

Things to keep track of to report for commpetition:

Personal Kills including total kills for group
Deaths
4/or 5 die or more SUCCESSFUL rolls
Was the puzzle solved?
Critical hits and misses
Overall time to complete adventure
Gm notes on intresting ways to acomplish the adventure (with a maximum word limit)

You would also want to track individual players, but i think that could be done with a sign up online type thing.