Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #11
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Who is winning the VTT wars of late?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I agree. I really just want a table top with maybe some ability to reveal areas so the entire dungeon is not visible AND a dice roller. We can use books for all else. I would almost certainly use zoom as well.
Tabletop Simulator is still working on the whole fog-of-war thing. It works, but it doesn't work well. But, you can restrict sight to what a person's figure can see. Which has some issues, and if you're using flat maps, it doesn't understand walls. Not that it likes going around walls. But, hey, maybe we'll get that. My players can firewall.

And it's a physics engine, so you can even have dice towers. Bobb found an interesting one that we put in for Chaos to keep her distracted.

Quote:
I'm more likely to play in person if that is possible though. For GURPS I'm creating a GM screen Excel spreadsheet.
That's just not possible for us. Too many people spread across too many places. For playing on-line, I have two monitors (would love a third but don't have room) and keep things in OneNote. I've loaded the GURPS GM screen as a PDF into my Tabletop Simulator environment for most games, so I have it right there for tables and such.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:05 PM   #12
nightwind1

Quote:
I agree. I really just want a table top with maybe some ability to reveal areas so the entire dungeon is not visible AND a dice roller. We can use books for all else. I would almost certainly use zoom as well.

I'm more likely to play in person if that is possible though. For GURPS I'm creating a GM screen Excel spreadsheet.
Check out Owlbear Rodeo. It should be just what you're looking for- maps with fog-of-war, die rolling, importing your own maps. There's a great set of tutorials on YouTube (though it's simple and intuitive enough you probably don't need them).

It's run via browser, so no one (even the GM) needs any kind of program other than their browser.

And it's FREE.

You do need a separate voice/video app like Skype, Discord, etc.

Last edited by nightwind1; 06-29-2021 at 10:08 PM.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:18 PM   #13
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I took a quick look at Owlbear Radio and, it does look to be a very valid option for people who just want a free, on-line VTT.

I just, personally, hate pogs. I've been playing with miniatures for 40 years, and the idea of using pogs grates on my nerves.

Fog of War, in Tabletop Simulator isn't great, it's just passable.
From our one-shot Expedition to the Barrier Peaks in Dungeon Fantasy, this is the GM's view of a fight.

And this is the view from Magnus' perspective, (highlighted in yellow).

Magnus can see everything because Fireball is a generic revealer model. He revealed what was going on with Seven Shadow (the downed catman in the corner, curling up against the downed robot/leeple).
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote