Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default What else can we define as a 'style'?

So, we've got Martial Arts styles and Magical Styles. I was wondering what other kind of things might be possible to define in handy little packages like that.

I remember seeing people mention Parkour / Free-Running as a possible candidate a few times and it seems well suited to the treatment. Possibly other sports could do so as well, although a lot of them have a rather limited skill list (in many cases they are basically just a single skill).

I'd say that social styles would be pretty cool. If you want to make a social character, you could pick up a style like 'pick-up artist', 'grifter', 'classical rhetoric' or 'modern sales' in order to add a bit of flavour. This will probably be easier once Social Engineering is out and we have more rules to play with (I guess it's possible that Social Engineering will already include this kind of thing).

The other day it occured to me that BDSM Doms kind of have a 'style' which could be defined in GURPS; central skills would probably be Erotic Art and various forms of Combat Art (Brawling Art, Wrestling Art, Whip Art and whatever you use for canes and crops...) with stuff like Knot Tying, Intimidation and Hypnotism as options. Not sure I'd actually want to play a game where anyone went into that much detail on the subject (I like to keep my hobbies seperate, thanks) but an amusing thought.

So, does anyone else have any ideas? Comments on the above? Other things which might be cool to define as styles? Has anyone actually written a non-martial, non-magical style up in full?
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: What else can we define as a 'style'?

Musical styles for different academies? Artist styles for different schools - "ah, that's one of Rembrandt's pupils."?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Figleaf23
Banned

Possibly acrobatics could have styles - tumbling vs. swinging.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Musical styles for different academies? Artist styles for different schools - "ah, that's one of Rembrandt's pupils."?
Musical styles seem very viable, although I'd probably go with an entire genre as a single style rather than narrowing it down to a particular academy. Most Martial Arts styles are fairly broad and I doubt that many players are going to want to go for something more specific than, say, 'Country and Western' for their musical style.

Visual arts seem kind of problematic. If you split them up by movement, they are going to tend to all look very similar (a cubist, an expressionist and an impressionist are all going to have very similar skills, for example) while if you split them by medium (photography, painting, sculpture and so on) you are mostly going to end up with Skills rather than Styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Possibly acrobatics could have styles - tumbling vs. swinging.
Those strike me more as Techniques or Optional Specialties than Styles. Circus Acrobatics or Olympic Gymnastics would be more like something I would consider a 'style' with Acrobatics as a major component.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Figleaf23
Banned

Entertainer Styles?

Vaudevillian:

Core Skills: Performance, Public Speaking, Singing, Dancing

Techniques: Double-Act (Public Speaking), Upstage (Performance), various dance and singing techniques I cannot conceive of.

Perks: Teamwork, Schtick, Honest Face
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Gigermann

"Careers" would be a decent fit. Job tables already list a number of Prerequisites and such for a particular Career—one could expand on that. This would probably envelop some of the others already mentioned (Sports, Entertainment, etc.)
Gigermann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post

Entertainer Styles?
Definitely!

Burlesque

Skills: Dancing; Performance; Sex Appeal.
Techniques: All kinds of tricky Dancing-based ones, mostly Average, mainly useful for earning a Reputation that gives better pay.
Perks: Attribute Substitution (Performance or Sex Appeal based on DX); Classic Pin-Up; High-Heeled Heroine; Sexy Pose.

Optional Traits

Attributes: Improved DX.
Advantages: Appearance; Flexibility; Reputation.
Disadvantages: Reputation.
Skills: Acrobatics; Carousing; Erotic Art; Makeup; Singing.
Perks: Intuitive Repairman (Costume); Teamwork.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
malloyd

Pretty much anything you can do with a template [could] be structured as a style. But if you want to keep to the meaning of the form, you probably ought to confine yourself to stuff that's formally taught in a structured way. But anything for which you can get a formal educational credential - a college degree, a journeyman certificiate etc. - should work fine.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Pretty much anything you can do with a template [could] be structured as a style. But if you want to keep to the meaning of the form, you probably ought to confine yourself to stuff that's formally taught in a structured way. But anything for which you can get a formal educational credential - a college degree, a journeyman certificiate etc. - should work fine.
Mind you it won't be meaningful unless you can think of some relevant perks and techniques or special skills.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Anders

GMing styles... narrativist, simulationist, etc. :)

Tags
styles