Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Koningkrush

Default Broad jumps compared to world record.

Okay, so I did the math for running broad jumps. The world record is 29 feet. To jump that far, you need a basic move of 16 which is nearly 33 mph. The fastest anyone has ever run is 28 mph.
The person who set this world record would probably be really well trained though, but you would need a Jumping skill of 32 to match 16 basic move. Isn't a skill level of that high almost ludicrous?

The only solution I could think of would be to have the jumping skill add a bonus to your jumping distance instead of substituting for basic move (there should be a limit to how much of a bonus this is, since infinite skill doesn't give you magical velocity in a jump). A lot of other systems do this like D&D.
Koningkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Koningkrush

Default Re: Broad jumps compared to world record.

For a realistic game, maybe maximum basic move for a human should be 12 yards per (becomes 14 in a sprint) second for 28 mph. Some good training would be able to give an effective basic move of 16 for the longest jump a human can attain.

Maybe an expert jumping skill of 14 should give +1 to basic move and a master jumping skill of 20 should give +2 to basic move for distance.
Or, a certain margin of success would give a bonus. 4 margin of success gives +1, 8 gives +2, and 12 gives +3 with a critical success always being +3?
Basically, I don't see why physical ability should be totally exclusive from training.

Last edited by Koningkrush; 07-22-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
Celjabba

I think you forgot the bonus for a running jump.
Jumping skill 16 give a standing broad jump of 13 feet, if you moved 8 yards that round (which require basic move 7 and a couple round of sprint for the sprint bonus) , it raise the distance to 26 feet (29 rounded down to twice standing broad jump distance).
Add a will roll at -3 for +15% extra effort and you have your 29 feet jump.

I think

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-22-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
Koningkrush

Oh yeah, I messed that up sorry lol. I was doubling basic move in the equation for maximum distance instead of the entire standing jump.

However, this also means that Usain bolt, with basic move 12, could do a maximum running long jump of 42 feet. That's 12 feet over the world record so now there's a whole new problem.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
Celjabba

Basic move 12 seem excessive. Can't look at my book now, but basic move 12 mean Usain Bolt basically walked to victory ?
Basic move 8 with running skill and extra effort should be enough for a 100 m in 10 sec run, iirc.
Still, you often can shatter real world record rather easily in Gurps... It remain a game, not a real world simulation.
Also, running jump is capped at twice a standing jump distance.
Celjabba

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-22-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
Koningkrush

Basic move 9 with sprinting plus 30% extra effort would put you at usain bolt speed, and basic move 9 pretty much caps out at 30 long jump which is close enough. I completely forgot about extra effort.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #7
weby

Yes, there is a problem, but it is the opposite, the jump distances are too long:

So someone with move 5(average person comes from DX 10, HT 10) and no training in jump skill jumps with running start and time: (2*(5+5))-3=17 feet.

That is more than the 1922 women world record.

Someone with move 6(HT 12, DX 12), again no training gets (2*(6+6))-3=21 feet.

That is more than the 1960 women world record.

Someone with move 7(HT 14, DX 14), again no training gets (2*(7+7))-3=25 feet.

That is more than the current women world record.

Apparently in GURPS someone who is not cinematic in attributes but no training and no extra effort used jumps better than any woman athlete.

Someone with move 8(HT 14, DX 14 and +1 move), again no training gets (2*(8+8))-3=29 feet.

That is about the same as the superb mens' world record that held from 1968 to 1991..

And finally someone with move 9(HT 14, DX 14 and +2 move), again no training gets (2*(9+9))-3=33 feet.

They could just stroll into a world level competition and break the world record by almost 4 feet..

When doing competition at world level I would expect people to do extra effort. Thus trying to add, say 15%-25% to that and failing often, but when they succeed they get the record..

So then a human maximum (By basic set: DX 20, HT 20 +2 speed +3 move=move 15) person would jump 57 feet, they would place well in triple jump without extra effort and just doing one jump..

Also note that it takes really hard training in jump skill to to get better than the basic score.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Koningkrush

You have to calculate standing jump distance first, then double it at the end. Basic move 5 gives 14 feet, not 17. (5*2)-3 = 7. Maximum running long jump is then 14.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:35 PM   #9
Koningkrush

Simulation is really complex and difficult, so this is probably a fruitless endeavor. It would still be nice to be somewhat close to real life though.

In real life, being well trained in a physical feat is only a small amount of it. It mostly all comes from how fast and powerful your body is, not how good your form is. I couldn't spend my entire life practicing form and studying textbooks on body mechanics just to jump out of my chair and break the world record without any physical ability. It pretty much comes down to two things.

-Basic move/strength/etc. (including sprinting/extra effort/whatever) should be able to bring you to a maximum of around 80% of a world record.
-Proper training and mastery with body mechanics should fill in the rest of the 20% to bring you up to the best a person could possibly manage.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
You have to calculate standing jump distance first, then double it at the end. Basic move 5 gives 14 feet, not 17. (5*2)-3 = 7. Maximum running long jump is then 14.
Meaning that Move 1 = a -1 foot jump.
Gurps is often silly in its need to only need grade school math. Sad that most gamers fear exponents and logs.

Tags
house rule, jumping, realism