Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #41
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: What else can we define as a 'style'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I think we want to watch out for "style creep." Nothing has to be a style.
Why do we need to avoid 'style creep'? As far as I can tell, there's no real downside to statting any damn thing as a style.

The existance of a vast number of martial arts styles hasn't led to anyone feeling the need for every martial artist character to have them. There are plenty of official templates published since Martial Arts came out which include extensive hand-to-hand skills without buying a martial arts style.

There doesn't seem to be much of an issue mixing characters with styles with those without. I don't even see a problem mixing the two approaches for a single character (for instance, I might make a US Marine character with the MCMAP style, but just use normal skills for his firearms training).
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #42
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
This social angle is the real-world focus of what GURPS calls "styles." A "style" represents the minimum training expected and often tested for by some group that's in a position to make sure you don't get work, or at least very good work, unless you do things their way. Most such "styles" could swap the Style Familiarity perk for a Courtesy Title, License, Office, or Permit perk. In essence, the right skills – and possibly certain techniques and perks – would become prerequisites to earning the qualification. Upon attaining the qualification, doors would open socially, and in many cases you would be cleared to receive "advanced training" that teaches other techniques and perks that are nominal secrets: stage-magic tricks, commercial trade secrets, military tactics, crypto schemes, etc.
I'm guessing then that it wouldn't be inappropriate to divide up Euro-American medical practice into styles, then. After all, there are certain things one is able to do as an MD that one cannot do as a paramedic or RN, no matter how much skill the RN or medic might have. And each sector of the field has it's own techniques and tricks that they teach their people that they won't or can't learn elsewhere.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #43
dcarson

Not just training. A MD can write prescriptions, a paramedic no matter how skilled can't.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #44
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I'm assuming you'd have to do a great deal of work, but I'm sure you can take a Cyberpunk/Transhumanist computer hacking as stylistic... In fact I'm sure that would add a bit of tension to certain "hacks" into systems. Give the those "Console Cowboys" back some of their '80's flair... maybe... but man, that would be some work to do... game dependent.
I have been thinking of a way to talk some people into a cyberpunk style campaign, but wanted a nice way to take the "matrix" style solo aspect away from the game without reducing the appeal of the Console Cowboy - I think this might be it.... Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Not just training. A MD can write prescriptions, a paramedic no matter how skilled can't.
If you are writing both up as styles, I'd say this falls under A License Perk - because even a Skill 24 doctor that has his license revoked cannot write a prescription.

Tags
styles