Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
Not

Default Boxing vs. Sport (Boxing)

Is there a difference?
Old 08-22-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Boxing vs. Sport (Boxing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Is there a difference?
Very much so. In Combat Sport (Boxing) there is a set fighting space, there's a list of legal targets and everything else you must leave alone, you must wear protective gear, you must stop when the other person submits or is too injured, third (or fourth or fifth or sixth...) parties won't show up behind you with a chair to break over your head...

You can't roll against Combat Sport (Boxing) outside of a sporting boxing match. If you want to punch "scientifically" in real combat, you roll Boxing. If you don't know Boxing but you know Combat Sport (Boxing), there's a -4 default penalty between the two because your opponent isn't following the rules and you've only learned how to fight someone following the rules.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
Bruno

Reread the skill descriptions for Boxing, Karate, Judo, and Wrestling.. These don't represent specific sports (otherwise what we'd actually have is a skill called "Martial Sport" that requires specialization by style). There's more on the distinction in GURPS Martial Arts (much more...)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Very much so. In Combat Sport (Boxing) there is a set fighting space, there's a list of legal targets and everything else you must leave alone, you must wear protective gear, you must stop when the other person submits or is too injured, third (or fourth or fifth or sixth...) parties won't show up behind you with a chair to break over your head...

You can't roll against Combat Sport (Boxing) outside of a sporting boxing match. If you want to punch "scientifically" in real combat, you roll Boxing. If you don't know Boxing but you know Combat Sport (Boxing), there's a -4 default penalty between the two because your opponent isn't following the rules and you've only learned how to fight someone following the rules.
Go the other way. How likely is the Boxer to win the refereed match against the Sport (Boxing)-er?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Go the other way. How likely is the Boxer to win the refereed match against the Sport (Boxing)-er?
He will probably get disqualified, or take a real penalty when he's on the ropes, since combat boxing is more or less the skill of trained punching while wearing armor on an honest-to-goodness battlefield, if you look at what it gives you.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
Icelander

The default is -3, not -4.

Professional boxers probably have Boxing and Games (Boxing), according to MA. Boxing Sport is for the Olympic sport, much further from full-contact fighting.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:33 AM   #7
Ashtagon

I was under the impression that a lot of "professional boxing" is heavily choreographed, so they would actually have Boxing Art.

I must also admit though, that until this thread, I thought the Combat Art/Sport skill only applied to Melee Weapon skills, and not to unarmed melee skills.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:48 AM   #8
DangerousThing

Kromm had some interesting posts where he suggested that it was only worth a perk to have the differences between the combat version and the sport version and the art version.

And yes, all melee skills, inlcuding hand to hand, have combat, sport, and art versions.

Kromm's rule would allow you to have the Combat skill plus a perk familiarity, such as Sport Familiarity (Boxing)

This is the post, look at the last paragraph: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=22
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:55 AM   #9
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
I was under the impression that a lot of "professional boxing" is heavily choreographed, so they would actually have Boxing Art.
While there are many shenanigans that go on with fighter resumes and fight results, none of these amount to choreographing individual exchanges of blows. Indeed, even managers who admit to fixing fights state that they would take care not to inform the designated winner of such an arrangment, as that would simply increase the risk of raising suspicions.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
I was under the impression that a lot of "professional boxing" is heavily choreographed
Perhaps you're thinking of pro wrestling.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, martial arts