Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #11
Clipper

Default Re: Knight Mare

It says +2 against everyone else. I interpret that as +2 against non-Centaurs, but I don't think that has ever been officially ruled upon, so I may very well be wrong.

As for the Half-Centaur-Gnome, the player is not a non-Centaur, so I'd actually think the Knight Mare would be at +4. This also works with the original wording as it would be weird to say that a single munchkin could be both a Centaur and 'everyone else'.

This also solves the Centaur Wizard problem. It would be a +4 here too. I'm classifying non-Centaurs as characters that aren't considered to be Centaurs, so a Centaur's additional Races, Classes, etc. are irrelevant.

Last edited by Clipper; 12-27-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
kotya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
As for the Half-Centaur-Gnome, the player is not a non-Centaur, so I'd actually think the Knight Mare would be at +4. This also works with the original wording as it would be weird to say that a single munchkin could be both a Centaur and 'everyone else'.
maybe I don't understand you, but very often a single munchkin is a Centaur and 'everyone else': Cleric, Thief, Wizard etc. Or they may use Half-Breed card and be a Centaur and Gnome, Elf, Dwarf etc.
a quote from FAQ says that the monster's bonuses for different Races/Classes stack if he meets munchkin with both these Races/Classes, and the Knight-Mare card does not say otherwise. So the "against Centaurs" and "against non-Centaurs" bonuses should stack and give +6 to monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
This also solves the Centaur Wizard problem. It would be a +4 here too. I'm classifying non-Centaurs as characters that aren't considered to be Centaurs, so a Centaur's additional Races, Classes, etc. are irrelevant.
we have the same sitation there.

I guess we need to stop arguing and wait for an official response.
kotya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The Knight Mare cares about Races, not any other traits. If you are a Centaur or Half-Centaur, she is at +2 against you -- she's only +4 if you have no Centaur component to your Race.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Clipper

Thanks Andrew. You got the two bonuses the wrong way around, though. The Knight Mare is +4 against Centaurs and +2 against everyone else.

Also, a Half-Centaur that does not have any other Race should be able to claim they are everyone else, as that's a disadvantage to being a Centaur, right?

Could you please confirm whether I'm correct that these bonuses can stack when there are two or more different combatants on the munchkin side (via Helper or Hireling), one a Centaur and one not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotya View Post
maybe I don't understand you, but very often a single munchkin is a Centaur and 'everyone else': Cleric, Thief, Wizard etc. Or they may use Half-Breed card and be a Centaur and Gnome, Elf, Dwarf etc.
a quote from FAQ says that the monster's bonuses for different Races/Classes stack if he meets munchkin with both these Races/Classes, and the Knight-Mare card does not say otherwise. So the "against Centaurs" and "against non-Centaurs" bonuses should stack and give +6 to monster.
Andrew's response does remove the doubt I had on this part, so I'll try to fully clarify what I meant. By non-Centaur, I don't mean having a component which is something other than Centaur. I mean being a character which is not considered to be a Centaur. A Half-Centaur-Gnome cannot say he is not a Centaur. Neither can a Centaur Wizard. A Half-Centaur with no other Race can choose if he is a Centaur or if he is not a Centaur, depending which choice is more advantageous. Thus, these two bonuses could never stack on any one character, as no character would ever be both a Centaur and a non-Centaur.

Last edited by Clipper; 12-27-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
six's monkey

This is beginning to make my head hurt, and I did quite well in the 'proofs' segment of Geometry. If I am alone in being puzzled about how much the mare cares about whom and why, then I abase myself in front of the reader at this time.
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote