Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-19-2023, 11:22 AM   #1
Aman

Default Forcing Retreat in Melee / TFT

In Melee, under "Forcing Retreat" it seems to indicate that you force someone to retreat if you Hit them and don't get Hit in return.

"Hit" seems to indicate "taking damage" not just being Hit [which may result in no damage due to a lousy damage roll or armor, etc], because of this parenthetical statement "...hits taken by the enemy's armor don't count".

My Legacy "In the Labyrinth" book removes that explanatory phrase, and seems to indicate that any Hit [and not being Hit, regardless of damage] allows you to force someone back.

So I'm presently inclined to play "Melee" with you need to do damage to Force a Retreat, and change it later should I use ITL.

But I'm open to the opinion of others better informed!
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: Forcing Retreat in Melee / TFT

The actual quote from ITL Legacy is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITL 118
A figure that put hits on an enemy figure by any physical,
non-missile attack, and is not hit itself that turn, may force
the enemy to retreat one hex at the end of the turn.
I think "put hits" means "wounds" here, so if you don't penetrate the armor, you didn't put hits on the enemy figure.

There is a difference between "put hits" and "hits" in the way I read it. If you make your to-hit roll, then you hit the enemy, but you don't put hits on him unless he actually takes wounds as a result.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 12:48 PM   #3
Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post

I think "put hits" means "wounds" here, so if you don't penetrate the armor, you didn't put hits on the enemy figure.

There is a difference between "put hits" and "hits" in the way I read it. If you make your to-hit roll, then you hit the enemy, but you don't put hits on him unless he actually takes wounds as a result.
I think that's it, per Melee.
I wonder if they changed it for Legacy ITL.
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
Shostak

Quote:
In the essay "Retreats Revamped" in Hexagram #4, by Steve Jackson says this in an example, "I have just put a hit on you, and I was unhurt during the turn." This specifically mentions being unhurt as a condition necessary to force a retreat, so we can confidently interpret "put hits" and "inflicted hits" to mean "wound".
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:42 PM   #5
Bill_in_IN

I concur with phiwum's and Shostak's assessment.

You must wound your opponent and take no damage that same turn for the Forced Retreat option to be available.

As a GM, I've forgotten to remind when this option is available. I thank the OP for discussing it.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:10 PM   #6
JohnPaulB

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITL 118
A figure that put hits on an enemy figure by any physical,
non-missile attack, and is not hit itself that turn, may force
the enemy to retreat one hex at the end of the turn.

I assume this means ANY DAMAGE to the one forcing a retreat:
Original Attacker Joe makes contact with his Mace on victim Sam and hurts Sam. Then Sam attacks Joe and bangs against Joe's armor and does not penetrate. (Sam is now Forced Retreat bait.). But wait, Edgar takes a shot at Joe and pierces his armor and damages Joe. Joe has received damage this turn, even though it was not from Sam. Does this mean that Joe cannot Force Retreat Sam?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:26 AM   #7
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Original Attacker Joe makes contact with his Mace on victim Sam and hurts Sam. Then Sam attacks Joe and bangs against Joe's armor and does not penetrate. (Sam is now Forced Retreat bait.). But wait, Edgar takes a shot at Joe and pierces his armor and damages Joe. Joe has received damage this turn, even though it was not from Sam. Does this mean that Joe cannot Force Retreat Sam?
Nice catch there! That's important.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:48 AM   #8
Shostak

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. The person forcing the retreat cannot have been wounded that turn.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 06:44 AM   #9
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Yes, that is correct. The person forcing the retreat cannot have been wounded that turn.
I concur with this additional scenario.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 08:51 AM   #10
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
I concur with this additional scenario.
And I concur with this concur. ;-) Seriously.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote