Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #11
43Supporter

Default Re: Comments on Rulebook from KS Update 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
I had a hard time with the 6e rulebook pdf. Maybe the print edition will be different but it just seemed like they threw a lot at you all at once - too many abbreviations there's stars, squiggly roads, control icons, fire icons, what looks like hazard icons, targeting icons... etc. It's like a programming language.
I concur with this assessment. I've already created a plain-text Notepad file with the relevant data for use if conventions restart.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #12
JimTullis

Quote:
I had a hard time with the 6e rulebook pdf. Maybe the print edition will be different but it just seemed like they threw a lot at you all at once - too many abbreviations there's stars, squiggly roads, control icons, fire icons, what looks like hazard icons, targeting icons... etc. It's like a programming language.
By abbreviations do you mean icons?
I really didn't see very many abbreviated words other than abbreviations for Front, Back, etc and the Build Point abbreviations. But there are a truckload of icons.

Earlier editions of Car Wars had almost no icons, but they suffered from a Wall of Text style of formatting that made them intimidating to younger players. They also had a ton of math, manuever dificulties, and dice roll modifiers. Enough math that people often commented on it. ;)

I think the new rule set is one of the easiest I've seen in a while. It seems much easier to grasp than Warhammer Underworlds and even a bit easier to grasp than that other post apocalypse 1/64th scale car game.

X-Wing seemed a bit easier to get into at first, but as soon as it came out there were tons of errata. And the second edition has a bunch of icons as well.

I know that a lot of players want to get straight to combat ( pew-pew is a lot of fun ). But, like X-Wing, I think it is easier to start out just driving (flying) around and then build up from there. Focusing on one aspect to start with really makes it easier for me to learn a system. It also makes combat easier in the long run by helping me learn to keep the proper arc pointed at the opponent.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #13
Parody

Quote:
I think it'll make more sense when you have the related game pieces (custom dice, cards, tokens, etc.) in front of you and can link them/their symbols with the ones in the book. As JimTullis said, CWC uses numeric modifiers and tracking numbers up and down vs. CW6's adding dice and taking/removing tokens. The more things change....
Old 01-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #14
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakyocalder View Post
We could get part of a page by eliminating the component list for the game. That's a tough one, since the rules to a game should let you know what the components you use are.
The rulebooks for most "Board Games" often list the box contents because most of the box gets used each game.

The rulebooks for most "Miniatures Games", on the other hand, usually have a short list of what a player NEEDS to play, not a list of everything that comes in the starter box. And definitely not two different lists for two different sized starters.

One of the photos of the 4 player Core box shown in update 86 shows the parts list for that box on the outside of the box, the two player box probably has it's own list on box. So I'm not sure both whole lists needed to be duplicated in the rulebook.

It feels like Steve Jackson Games is treating this more like a 1 shot Board Game rather than a Miniatures Game with multiple expansions and options.

If all the rules from all the add-ons get compiled into a single compendium I'm sure that they won't want to list the individual contents of all the different boxes.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:46 AM   #15
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I think it'll make more sense when you have the related game pieces (custom dice, cards, tokens, etc.) in front of you and can link them/their symbols with the ones in the book. As JimTullis said, CWC uses numeric modifiers and tracking numbers up and down vs. CW6's adding dice and taking/removing tokens. The more things change....
I agree. The rules format doesn't seem that different than other "miniature game in a box" like x-wing and the new Marvel game.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
Old 01-13-2021, 08:29 AM   #16
JimTullis

I had forgotten about the "comprehensive rules document" that was created for the Munchkin CCG until today. It's super detailed and well layed out.
It also has extra information for competitive play (tournaments :) ).

I'm hoping that there will be an online version of the Car Wars Rules that follows that format and includes all the rules from all of the add-ons and for competitive play.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:08 PM   #17
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Several posters on the KS have noted that the January Draft rules pdf was formatted as individual pages and the new rules pdf is formatted as 2 page spreads making it harder to read on mobile platforms.?
Looks like this has now been updated.

Thank you SJG.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #18
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Looks like this has now been updated.

Thank you SJG.
Too bad they chose the version with the typo.

Tony Hughes pointed out in Kickstarter Update 90 that the just released "Car Wars Kit Rules" PDF is different from the earlier "Car+Wars+Core+Rules" PDF.

The new contents listing is most likely wrong.

The new listing shows that a 2 player box has 2 Wrecks, 2 Barriers, and 2 Barrels. It also shows the 4 player box with 4 of each.

Looking back, Update #83 shows the wreck token sheet tooling with 1 each of wreck, wall, barrier and 2 barrels [why not 4? there's room for 2 more].

Update #86 shows the 4 player Core Box contents as 2 wrecks, 2 walls, 2 barriers, and 4 barrels. So 2 copies of the Wreck Token Sheet.

Also, the "Kit" rules don't list the scenario tokens, but the "Core" rules do, as well as the box.

Neither of the contents in the rules files differentiates between barriers and walls. The photo of the box does though.

This reinforces my question of with multiple packaging options (2-player/4-player/red&yellow/blue&green) why put the contents list in the rulebook? It isn't a rule, and the list on the box should be enough, it wastes space in the rule book and is another place for weird typos to sneak in. I would much rather have had the Crew and Dropped Weapons rules (without their contents lists) in the core book.
Closed Thread