Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
clu2415

Default Horizontal/Quadruped and BL

Double checking that stuff like Horizontal and Quadruped don’t have knock-on effects on your carrying capacity. You have to explicitly buy Lifting ST if you want that effect.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Horizontal/Quadruped and BL

Yes. You pay for what you get.

However, you if you have no fine manipulators, which is included in Quadruped, you can apply a -40% limitation to buying strength.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
Plane

Probably worth noting of course that most beings can carry more on their backs than in their arms which is how quadriped mounts tend to do, relying on other's ST to actually lift the stuff (or themselves) ONTO their backs so that only Encumbrance is an issue.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Probably worth noting of course that most beings can carry more on their backs than in their arms which is how quadriped mounts tend to do, relying on other's ST to actually lift the stuff (or themselves) ONTO their backs so that only Encumbrance is an issue.
Though you mostly will not need to. Many quadruped animals will be at risk of injury if you load more than 15% of their weight on their back. For humans that is Light Encumbrance, or None.

With the kinds of ST scores animals are usually given, you don't need Lifting ST, you often need an encumbrance *reduction* to get realistic carrying capacities from your horses or dogs or whatever.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Sorenant

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as someone like lwcamp, but from the little I know horses are particularly good at carrying stuff in their back compared to other similar quadrupeds like zebras, something about their spines.
Given the above and previous discussions, I think the most realistic approach is to give horses some levels of Lifting ST on top of their normal ST (which might be lower than what B459-460 suggests).
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote