Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 11-16-2023, 11:08 AM   #1
Alden Loveshade

Default GCA4 not working

I have GCA5 installed. But now, I can't seem to load GCA4.

Considering every single GURPS character I've created for GURPS Fourth Edition was done on GCA4, that's a major problem for me.

How can I fix this?
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 02:33 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA4 not working

GCA5 is a completely different platform from GCA4, so one shouldn't have any effect on the other.

Now, as to why GCA4 won't load: I have no idea, and you've given me zero information to work with. My suggestion would be to try reinstalling it, and maybe see if your malware protection decided to block it.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:42 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Seriously consider switching over to GCA5 full time. GCA4 is built on an ancient platform that will just continue to have more and more trouble running on modern Windows versions.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
AOTA

You should be able to load your old characters into GCA 5 that is what I have been doing.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 06:04 PM   #5
rkbrown419

I kept GCA4 around for the template builder, but I've noticed it hasn't worked since I updated to Windows 11, even running in compatibility mode.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:34 PM   #6
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
GCA5 is a completely different platform from GCA4, so one shouldn't have any effect on the other.

Now, as to why GCA4 won't load: I have no idea, and you've given me zero information to work with. My suggestion would be to try reinstalling it, and maybe see if your malware protection decided to block it.
Is GCA4 still available for download? I didn't see it in warehouse23.com but maybe I missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA View Post
You should be able to load your old characters into GCA 5 that is what I have been doing.
Thanks--but I had read a while back that wouldn't work. But the program has been updated since that message was posted.

I did just try it, and it looks like I'm going to have to add all the books/traits I use to GCA5 for it to work right, including ones that are individualized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
I kept GCA4 around for the template builder, but I've noticed it hasn't worked since I updated to Windows 11, even running in compatibility mode.
Thanks for the note. I'm actually trying to run it on Windows 10.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:44 AM   #7
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
Is GCA4 still available for download? I didn't see it in warehouse23.com but maybe I missed it.
It is not visible for purchase in the store, but if you owned it before, it is in the download list (or should be)

GURPS Character Assistant LEGACY ONLY (Version 4) (SJG31-4001-4L)
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:36 AM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
See Celjabba's post above.

Quote:
Thanks--but I had read a while back that wouldn't work. But the program has been updated since that message was posted.
GCA5 has always been able to load GCA4 characters. It just can't save characters in the GCA4 format. (It also loads a copy, it does not alter the GCA4 save file.)

There are certain elements that may have different types of issues. For example, protection works very differently internally, being based in the various loadouts now, so some adjustment may be required. Also, Languages and Cultural Familiarities have their own lists, so things that apply bonuses to those (such as Language Talent) may need to be accounted for when mixing the loaded character with new library traits.

(GCA5 also uses GCA4 data files almost without change, and most data is still from GCA4. Primarily the Languages and Cultures lists require adjustments, and GCA5 supports more types of data.)

Quote:
I did just try it, and it looks like I'm going to have to add all the books/traits I use to GCA5 for it to work right, including ones that are individualized.
Everything within the character should still work on the character. If you resynchronize upon loading, some things may break and need to be fixed, because you'll have changed internal lists and such.

Of course, I can't account for heavy customization, and don't know any specifics about what you've done.

But updating to GCA5 is definitely recommended over continuing to use GCA4.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:50 PM   #9
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
It is not visible for purchase in the store, but if you owned it before, it is in the download list (or should be)

GURPS Character Assistant LEGACY ONLY (Version 4) (SJG31-4001-4L)
Thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
....GCA5 has always been able to load GCA4 characters. It just can't save characters in the GCA4 format....Everything within the character should still work on the character....But updating to GCA5 is definitely recommended over continuing to use GCA4.
Thanks for the info! Apparently what I read about GCA4 to GCA5 was either wrong or I misinterpreted it.

I appreciate the quick and detailed response and help!
Old 11-19-2023, 05:52 AM   #10
rkbrown419

Quote:
Thanks for the note. I'm actually trying to run it on Windows 10.
Only time it wouldn't work for me under Windows 10 was if I had OS updates that hadn't finished installing. Never understood why but it didn't want to work if the OS wasn't updated.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gca crash, gca4