Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-11-2024, 11:11 AM   #1
Caelarch

Default KYOS rounding error?

I recently upgraded to GCA5 and installed the Knowing Your Own Strength bundle. But I think I've run into a fairly minor bug with it. It appears that GCA5 is rounding BL incorrectly.

Per Pyramid 3/83 p. 17, a character with ST 1 has BL 2.5 on the Revised Strength Table, but GCA5 is giving a value of 2 (and calculating encumbrance limits from that BL). Similarly, at ST 13 GCA5 gives BL 39, instead of 40 from the table. The formula in Pyramid 3/83 for ST 13 would yield 39.905, rounded to 40. Rounding on the Revised Strength Table appears to be normal rounding (i.e., nearest whole number) which is consistent with the usual BL formula from B.15. Based on these examples, and other ST values I checked, I think GCA5 is calculating BL with the KYOS formula and then dropping fractions—instead of rounding to the nearest whole number.

Is there a way to fix this as a user? That is, is there a way to change the rounding convention for BL calculation without needing an update from developer?
Caelarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:55 PM   #2
Imion

Default Re: KYOS rounding error?

When you are in Classic View, go to the Attributes Tab and klick on Basic Lift in the All Attributes box. Then klick Edit, Advanced and change basevalue to "@round(2 * 10 ^ (ST:Lifting ST / 10),@if(ST:Lifting ST::score <= 7 then 1 else 0))" (without quotation marks).

This will calculate BL values with one decimal place, rounding to the nearest number if ST is below 8. The formula given in the gdf is indeed dropping fractions completely.

In addition AFAICT the Tag roundup is doing nothing and can be deleted.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:31 PM   #3
Caelarch

That worked! Thank you!
Caelarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:33 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Thanks for the fix, Imion. I'll get an updated file out soon.

Tags
bug, gca, kyos, rounding