Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 01-30-2024, 05:24 PM   #1
Morall

Default Starting Wealth cannot be changed when playing the Discworld RPG (and other issues)

Hello hello!

For context, I've never played a GURPS game before, but as a big fan of both TTRPGs and the Discworld book series.
Now, I can definitely see how someone might describe the GURPS system as overwhelming, but I'm exactly the type of nerd who can (and have) spend hours upon hours gleefully losing themselves in the soft embrace of character creation.
But with many Traits serving as modifiers to skills and the like, I decided to purchase the GCA software, lured in by the promise of a better automatic handling of such minutiae.

I have to say that although quite complex-looking at first, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. This said, I have a few issues.

The first one is probably not an issue of the software, but rather with the Discworld RPG.gdf book included in the default.gds library.
Advantages that grant flight (i.e. the different flavors of Flight, as well as Swarm Body) seem to not give your character a bonus to the Air Move stat.
I guess I can figure out on my own how to manually correct that, but I thought I'd point it out, just in case it is useful.

The second probably is an issue with the software, unless I missed an option in a menu somewhere.
My character is a Vampire, and has the Alternate Form Advantage. I can implement that with Transforms, easily switching between Templates to apply the correct stats at any given time I wanna turn into a flock of bats.
However, even when disabled, the Flock of Bats Template is still counted towards my total point count, even though it really shouldn't - that's what the Alternate Form Advantage is here to track.
Ticking the Separate template costs box in Options/Program Options/Windows & Boxes only decouples the Templates and Advantages point counts, without affecting the point total.
As such, I find myself with an extra 23 points added to my point count, which I find pretty annoying.
Could there be an option to discard the point cost of Templates excluded from the current Transform?

Finally, by far the largest issue I have with the GCA software and the Discworld RPG.gdf book specifically is that of funds.
At TL 3 and Wealth 0, GCA imposes a Starting Wealth of $1000. However, in the Discworld book, to reflect the in-universe comparatively de-inflated currency, it is set at $50.
As far as I'm aware, all expenses described in the book correspond more or less to those in the "standard" GURPS book, but at a 1/20 scale. And this is reflected in the corresponding .gdf files.
For instance, an Axe from the Basic Set costs $50, while it costs $3 in the Discworld book.
However, the Starting Wealth to TL seems to be hardcoded in GCA, making it impossible to change. Worse still, it is not only used to compute the actual starting wealth, but also things like Monthly Pay and Cost of Living.
And I end up with a character having basically 20 times the purchasing power that they'd be supposed to have given their TL and Status...

Looking around, I have seen that last point being mentioned in a forum post from 2022. Has anything been changed in that regard? And is there a workaround that doesn't involve manually inflating every monetary cost from the Discworld RPG.gdf by 2000%?

Thanks in advance!
Morall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:46 AM   #2
Imion

Default Re: Starting Wealth cannot be changed when playing the Discworld RPG (and other issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morall View Post
Hello hello!
(...)

Advantages that grant flight (i.e. the different flavors of Flight, as well as Swarm Body) seem to not give your character a bonus to the Air Move stat.
They do but the Official Character Sheet is only showing Ground Move.

If you switch to Classic View there is a box in the Attribute tab that shows all Attributes, there you shoud find Air Move if you have taken an appropriate advantage.

Quote:
(...)
Finally, by far the largest issue I have with the GCA software and the Discworld RPG.gdf book specifically is that of funds.
At TL 3 and Wealth 0, GCA imposes a Starting Wealth of $1000. However, in the Discworld book, to reflect the in-universe comparatively de-inflated currency, it is set at $50.
As far as I'm aware, all expenses described in the book correspond more or less to those in the "standard" GURPS book, but at a 1/20 scale. And this is reflected in the corresponding .gdf files.
(...)
A workaround would be to find Starting Wealth in the All Attributes Box when using Classic View and edit it directly. Klick on Edit go to Advanced and add "/20" (without the quotation marks) to basevalue. it should read ST:Wealth Modifier * @indexedvalue(ST:Tech Level::basevalue + 1, 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000, 7500, 10000)/20. Do the same with Monthly Pay.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:54 AM   #3
Morall

Default Re: Starting Wealth cannot be changed when playing the Discworld RPG (and other issue

Thanks for your response!

Quote:
Quote:
A workaround would be to find Starting Wealth in the All Attributes Box when using Classic View and edit it directly. Klick on Edit go to Advanced and add "/20" (without the quotation marks) to basevalue. it should read ST:Wealth Modifier * @indexedvalue(ST:Tech Level::basevalue + 1, 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000, 7500, 10000)/20. Do the same with Monthly Pay.
Worked like a charm, thanks ^^

Quote:
Quote:
They do but the Official Character Sheet is only showing Ground Move.

If you switch to Classic View there is a box in the Attribute tab that shows all Attributes, there you shoud find Air Move if you have taken an appropriate advantage.
I used the Unified View, so the Air Move Attribute did show up on my sheet, probably enabled by an Advantage (it wasn't present by default on another character sheet, even when looking at all Attributes, so I assume that's how it works).
However, its value was set to 0, when it should be 2 Basic Speed, dropping fractions.
As said originally, maybe that's a Discworld thing, but the Flight and Swarm Body don't actually seem to provide any kind of bonus or modifier, even when looking at the Advanced subwindow.

My character in Flock of Bats form happens to have a Basic Speed of 5.75, so if everything works correctly, it should end up with a Air Move of 11.
Pretty serendipitous, to test out the "dropping fractions" part.
After a bit of fiddling, I added "=2*ST:Basic Speed to ST:Air Move" to the "Gives" field of the Swarm Body Advantage, and to my surprise, it worked perfectly!

So yeah, in the Discworld RPG part of the default library, some Advantages seem to be missing some modifiers, and I don't know if there's a process to report that to the GCA maintainer...
But for me, at least, the issue is solved.

Quote:
I can implement that with Transforms, easily switching between Templates to apply the correct stats at any given time I wanna turn into a flock of bats.
However, even when disabled, the Flock of Bats Template is still counted towards my total point count, even though it really shouldn't - that's what the Alternate Form Advantage is here to track.
Ticking the Separate template costs box in Options/Program Options/Windows & Boxes only decouples the Templates and Advantages point counts, without affecting the point total.
As such, I find myself with an extra 23 points added to my point count, which I find pretty annoying.
I'm guessing that there isn't really a fix for that right now?
I mean, I still find it annoying, because I'm the type of detail-obsessed weirdo for whom that stuff is important, so I'd rather have the option to do that sort of point-cost manipulation when juggling through Transforms.
But at the end of the day, I think I'll survive just fine without 😅
Old 02-02-2024, 01:28 PM   #4
Imion

Quote:
As said originally, maybe that's a Discworld thing, but the Flight and Swarm Body don't actually seem to provide any kind of bonus or modifier, even when looking at the Advanced subwindow.
That's because it is defined in the Basic Air Move stat in Discworld.gdf.

You could try removing all traits that give Air Move (Advantages as well as Templates) and then re-adding them.

Quote:
I'm guessing that there isn't really a fix for that right now?
You could convert the template to a Parent item (Right click, Convert to Parent/Child) then give it the Free modifier and check the 'This parent item applies its Modifiers to child items' box in the Edit window.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:07 PM   #5
Morall

Quote:
You could convert the template to a Parent item (Right click, Convert to Parent/Child) then give it the Free modifier and check the 'This parent item applies its Modifiers to child items' box in the Edit window.
That did the trick!
I didn't know that the _Free Modifier was a thing, but it might be useful if I keep on doing weird stuff in GCA...

Thanks again!