Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
TheSkywise

Default GURPs Online

I often hear some people say they can't find players or GMs for GURPs. I understand it can be difficult, but I want to throw out a solution for everyone's consideration.

I use free online software to run my campaigns. Its as close as I can get to an actual tabletop environment. Originally, it was a way to bring my old gaming group back together (everyone moved over the years). While it is not the same as the old face to face, it does allow great gaming.

Here's my method:

TeamSpeak v3 - A free program to allow voice chat, file transfers, etc. Works great if everyone has a mike.

MapTools - An awesome freeware program that I have used for several years. Its a free, virtual table top program.

I don't work for either company, those are just the ones I use. The tools are out there; perhaps if enough people start gaming like this maybe there will be more GURPs in the "mainstream." I don't know why more people don't take advantage of this new method (especially if you have the gaming bug but noone to game with). I would prefer face to face, but with my schedule and location, its difficult. I have had great success with this (my GURPs Bureau 13 campaign ran for over a year and I am starting up a fantasy one [check out the game finder thread for more info])

Anyways, I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth.
TheSkywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
MKMcArtor

Default Re: GURPs Online

I run my GURPS campaign using MapTools and Ventrilo and it works really well. I will point out, though, that had I started things off differently, I would have used Skype or TeamSpeak or something else instead. I'm not really a fan of Vent.

The possibilities of Google+ and its Hangouts is something I've brought up to my group to explore, so if you or anyone else has already tried that I'd love to hear about it. :)
Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Blind Mapmaker

I've played a couple of games using MapTool and Skype. It works really well once you figured out the basics (which takes about an hour or two for the GM, less for everybody else). Finding time to prepare and actually play online is more difficult.

Out of curiosity: What are the advantages of Teamspeak or Ventrilo? I often hear about people using them for online computer games. Skype worked just fine for us and people are familiar with it, but maybe I'm missing something
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Phantasm

There are a bunch of us on irc.sorcery.net in #gurps that are either looking for players or looking for GMs.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Bruno

I suspect Teamspeak and Ventrillo are used for much the same reasons: They work fine, and people are used to them.

For instance I've never even seen a copy of Skype and our WoW guild has a Ventrillo server, so my go-to would be Ventrillo.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
shawnhcorey

Just curious: has anyone tried Google+ Hangouts for gaming?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Kalzazz

I use IRC myself
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Woodman

Quote:
Out of curiosity: What are the advantages of Teamspeak or Ventrilo? I often hear about people using them for online computer games. Skype worked just fine for us and people are familiar with it, but maybe I'm missing something
My Online group originally used Skype because one player had to use his mobile phone as a client and there was only a Skype client for that one, but then two new players couldnt get Skype to work reliably or at all and we switched to TS3. The biggest difference for me was the increase in sound quality and the option to fine tune my sound preferences for each individual user and over all we had a lot less trouble with connections and getting everyone in one group call. On the downside you need a server to use Teamspeak or Ventrillo, but we found an RPG community that hosts its own TS server and allows its members free use.
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Bruno

I'll tell you one reason why videogamers tend to use Teamspeak and Ventrillo - both programs are known to videogame developers, who tend to put some effort into making sure their multiplayer game works well with either or both.

There are many games where you can get a patch or add-on that integrates TS or Vent into the game to a limited extent - showing a "Talking" Icon above someones head, or showing the list of connected users through the game UI, or making sure game sounds are filtered out of your recorded voice so people can hear you over the crash-bang-booms and to cut down on feedback.

Obviously this doesn't factor in much with, say, Maptools usage. But once you have an installed user base folks will default to it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'll tell you one reason why videogamers tend to use Teamspeak and Ventrillo - both programs are known to videogame developers, who tend to put some effort into making sure their multiplayer game works well with either or both.
Another important part of that equation is that Ventrillo and Teamspeak both have options Skype does not, eg. dedicated server software, user accounts and rights management, possibility to limit bandwith usage.

Last edited by Onkl; 08-02-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: type
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
virtual tabletop, virtual tabletops