Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Kisaoda

Default How to play GURPS via Google Docs

Or any online document really. It's becoming harder for my friends and I to meet on a regular basis. School, work, family all tend to occupy our time more often these days, but we're still kids enough to want to keep playing.

One of us brought up the idea of playing by email, or, since we all have Gmail, Google Docs (which is akin to Word documents that can be shared and edited online by multiple parties for those who don't have it). That means we can essentially play at any point during the day or week to our convenience without needing to set aside specific time to convene together and play. Sure, it takes away from some of the fun that brings, but considering our RL demands, it seems the best option.

Anyway, I'm sure we're not the first to think of this. So my question to my fellow GURPers is this: do you have any recommended formats or tips for us to use?
Kisaoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Gigermann

Default Re: How to play GURPS via Google Docs

I'm currently (off and on) running a play-by-post GURPS Space game on our group's forum, here. We're doing it a little different than most, though, I think, since we're actually writing it out like a novel (the "Chronicles" thread—the colored text is written by me, as the GM), rather than just the usual "post" style communication. I've added a dice-roller script to the forum, and handle the mechanical issues in a separate background thread. It's been working out pretty well.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Jerron

Definitely.

Use the 'Play by Post' format instead. Check out tons of free websites that offer forums specially tailored to this.

The PbP section of this very forum, in the role-playing section just under this very GURPS section.

PlayByWeb.com Free, and very specifically tailored to PbP gaming. They do not allow nor accept any advertising at all. Characters belong to the players as default.

DarkAndMoodyForums.com Also free, and has a small group of excellent and mature gamers, who are also quite helpful. There is no default ownership of characters.

RPoL.net (RolePlayOnLine) Free, and good utilities for PbP gaming. Characters belong to the GM as default.

Email and your docs idea are both workable, but trust me, once you check out some of these sites, you'll never use either idea. If you need help or further ideas, feel free to ask here or in a PM. I have extensive experience with all of the sites mentioned here. (In fact, this one is the only one I haven't helped run at one time or another.)

Last edited by Jerron; 01-12-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Wicked Lurker

I would recommend a VoIP session rather than text, unless you are a guys who like text.

To me typing the stuff out looses a lot of the dynamics, and the only thing other than hearing each other's voices can be done with google docs or similar multiuser software I guess.

☼Online courses and free stuff on GM-ing☼
Wicked Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
arnej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisaoda View Post
Anyway, I'm sure we're not the first to think of this. So my question to my fellow GURPers is this: do you have any recommended formats or tips for us to use?
I'm with Jerron - play-by-post is a way to go. I'm in a game on a free site (http://wanderedroads.yuku.com/directory that's been going for over two years. You can see how the GM has it structured, and various characters, threads, chat logs, etc.

His game is a bit different than what you're looking for, because in addition to the PBP aspect, every two weeks there is an on-line session using Maptools for your character and the rest of his party. That's where the chat logs come from. It's also a good way to enforce participation - your character gets synched with the rest of the party every two weeks. (A problem in PBP is that some post daily, or multiple times a day, and others post weekly, if that.)

My $.02,

arnej
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
rlbeaver

Has anyone looked at http://scenegrinder.com/? I was looking at it earlier, and it sounds cool, but since it's not free, I haven't tried it at all. It seems to be a mix of something like Fantasy Grounds and PbP...

No, I'm not affiliated with them, this isn't an add, nor is it intended to be a link dump. It sounded promising for online play and it's just a product I've been watching and been curious about. I do little online gaming so figured in this discussion, those that have may have more experience with it.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Tinman

Hey, I have friends that are scattered around the usa.
We play over the computer every week.

We use skype for voice & "RP Tools" progam Maptool. It's a great program and easy to use. I highly recomend it.

If you want more info on it feel free to ask on the forum or PM me.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Michael Cule

I've been using Google Wave to run ARS MAGICA. If it weren't for the slight uncertainty about its future I'd recommend it to you.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Dunadin777

Quote:
Originally Posted by obatron View Post
Has anyone looked at http://scenegrinder.com/? I was looking at it earlier, and it sounds cool, but since it's not free, I haven't tried it at all. It seems to be a mix of something like Fantasy Grounds and PbP...
(Lurker attack!) I just checked out that link and am really excited by the software. It's pretty cheap, even for a struggling mundane like myself, so I'm going to try it out and see how it works for my purposes. So far, it seems really encouraging, and the VTT + PbP aspect is really unique.

I'll probably post more info on how it works out in the next couple of days. I'm looking at hosting a GURPS game using it to accommodate a buddy who just can't make any of my face-to-face sessions. If there's interest, I might post the game's info on here and see if anyone nibbles for a political fantasy game that is equal parts strategy.

"I don't think I'm morally obligated to stop this..."
Ten Green Gem Vine--Warrior-poet, bane of highwaymen

Last edited by Dunadin777; 01-13-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Dunadin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Tinman

BTW the RP tools stuff is freeware!
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
virtual tabletop, virtual tabletops