Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
Kage2020

Default Re: Virtual Tabletops set up for GURPS?

I was never able to get them to work even tinkering with the network settings and following the instructions. Ah the joys. Every now and again, though, I will try and get one of them to work with the idea of actually using it to get back into RP'ing. :D

Kage
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
Kymage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
I was never able to get them to work even tinkering with the network settings and following the instructions. Ah the joys. Every now and again, though, I will try and get one of them to work with the idea of actually using it to get back into RP'ing. :D

Kage
So I wasn't alone in that, that makes me feel a little bit better (just a little bit better)
Kymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #13
mook

I dickered a bit with MapTools this afternoon. Even after forwarding the correct port on my router, every time I pressed the 'Test Connection' button, the test came back with an error message ("Cannot see your machine from the internet"), so I naturally assumed it was a dead end.

On a lark though I had a buddy try to connect to my MapTools server anyway - and he connected just fine. Not sure if that's the issue you folks were having, but thought I would mention - don't just go by the 'Test Connection' results, they may be incorrect.

So now I'm poking around the campaign files listed in this thread; some functionality is either no longer working (it is a year old), or I'm just not up to speed on how MapTools works - but at any rate, they're great for learning the macro system.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #14
Cheomesh

MapTool it is; do I need the other tools listed, like Dice and Character?

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
copeab

I was able to get MapTool to work correctly after I used the port number from ScreenMonkey instead of the one suggested for MapTool.

I'm looking at MT more for the chat than map function. I also don't intend to get nearly as complex as many users do -- no macros with a token, for example, and chat macros only going one level deep (a macro to-hit does not determine damage, trigger a defense roll, or anything else, for example).

My one complaint with MT is that it is *very* version sensitive -- different builds of the same version are unlikely to work together. OTOH, you don't actually have to install the program -- just unzip it into a folder, create your firewalll exceptions (if you are hosting) and go.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
OldSam

Any good working GURPS-Macros / Addons for MapTool available online?
Or maybe someone even started an open development project?
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #17
TheSkywise

If rptools test server is down, then "test connection" will always fail. By the way, their test server is usually always down.... lol.

Versions- expect a new build every few weeks as maptools is always being work on by their volunteer programmers. However, if everyone in your group runs MapTools from a folder (instead of from the website) then you can stay version same (if that's your cup of tea).

I have a GURPs framework I want to share, but I will have to remove a lot of stuff to comply with SJ Games online policy (I had cut and pasted info from pdfs into macros for player reference). There is at least one public framework for GURPs already.

I admit, I am a MapTools junkie! But its really worked for my gaming group.

Last edited by TheSkywise; 09-07-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Grammer
TheSkywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Any good working GURPS-Macros / Addons for MapTool available online?
Or maybe someone even started an open development project?
The forum I linked above has GURPS-specific stuff in it - it's about a year old, and much of it 'over my head' still in terms of what MapTools can do, but I think it's a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkywise View Post
If rptools test server is down, then "test connection" will always fail. There test server is always down.... lol.
Aha! Good to know, thanks. :) (That was really driving me crazy, I'm glad I checked with an actual connection - I knew I had everything set up correctly!)
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #19
gmjasongurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkywise View Post
I admit, I am a MapTools junkie! But its really worked for my gaming group.
I agree with you on that one! I can not recommend MapTool more. Its a great game tool and has allowed us to play our campaign for just over 2 years now 80+ sessions.

My framework is a mismash of stuff ive cobbled together on my own and swiped from the MapTool forums. Its not perfect, but Im comfortable with it, though now sure how well it would work for someone else that didnt know its ins and outs....
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #20
prospero

I'm involved with the development of the MapTools framework mentioned above. Some of the files available in the forum thread may not work with the latest version of MapTools, but the thread is pretty active, and development is ongoing.

I'm working on a revised and improved version of the framework that will stay within the bounds of the SJG online policy *and* be useful for players and GMs alike. The code is mostly written. There's a character sheet with combat-relevant advantages, skills, and an equipment list. There's also a combat tracker for GMs which displays PC and NPC stats in a handy table and tracks initiative. At this point, I'm debugging, and trying to figure out what conforms to SJG's policy and what doesn't.

Though it may be a few weeks before I'm ready to release, there's a lot that MapTools can do right out of the box. It's a good VTT with a die roller, and the lighting and vision modeling is impressive for an open source program.

Last edited by prospero; 09-06-2010 at 10:50 PM.
prospero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
virtual tabletop, virtual tabletops