Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #141
Gigermann

Default Re: Virtual Table Top (VTT) support

I ask because I don't genuinely know: have the Roll20-GURPS guys gone directly to SJG asking for support? I know this was the case with FG (because I was a part of it). Did they decline? Do we know why? Is it something that can be improved?

Edit: having re-skimmed the whole friggin thread, now, I see that they have made contact in the past.

Last edited by Gigermann; 03-04-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:53 PM   #142
trooper6

I spoke to Steve Jackson at GenCon as a streamer and I expressed the value in supporting VTTs in order to encourage high quality streamed games...it seemed like he was not interested in supporting more than one VTT.

I really want to be able to support GURPS by streaming some GURPS games...but the character sheet is not friendly people who have never played GURPS before. And so I'm running the campaign I always wanted to run in GURPS...in FATE instead. And? When I ran Cthulhu Confidential, the publisher reached out and gave me a 10% off code for my viewers to buy the game. Another company has expressed interest me running a stream of their game (I'm running their game at GenCon because they reached out to me). I've seen, either directly, or from my other streamer friends, publishers really support streamed games to help generate excitement and get people to know about their games. I play in more streamed games than I GM, and I'm being asked to stream more and more...and *all* of them run Roll20 as their VTT. I really wish SJGames supported Roll20 more. Because I'd love to help evangelize GURPS...but I need the character sheet to be the sort of sheet you can have when it has official support.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #143
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I spoke to Steve Jackson at GenCon as a streamer and I expressed the value in supporting VTTs in order to encourage high quality streamed games...it seemed like he was not interested in supporting more than one VTT.

I really want to be able to support GURPS by streaming some GURPS games...but the character sheet is not friendly people who have never played GURPS before. And so I'm running the campaign I always wanted to run in GURPS...in FATE instead. And? When I ran Cthulhu Confidential, the publisher reached out and gave me a 10% off code for my viewers to buy the game. Another company has expressed interest me running a stream of their game (I'm running their game at GenCon because they reached out to me). I've seen, either directly, or from my other streamer friends, publishers really support streamed games to help generate excitement and get people to know about their games. I play in more streamed games than I GM, and I'm being asked to stream more and more...and *all* of them run Roll20 as their VTT. I really wish SJGames supported Roll20 more. Because I'd love to help evangelize GURPS...but I need the character sheet to be the sort of sheet you can have when it has official support.
As I said everything points to SJG resources going into CCG with the occasional trips into nostalgia land such as The Fantasy Trip. Heck the only way people are even have hope of seeing a 6th edition of Car Wars is thanks to a kickstarter campaign.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #144
Gigermann

It is still my opinion that "official" GURPS support for any VTT really won't change anything. They aren't going to create content in-house. As far as I know, they don't do that for GCA. So far, they have done the most supportive thing they can do, that is, to allow the community to create GURPS rulesets for various VTTs.

The mention of VTTs in the Campaigns reprint does indicate their awareness and encouragement—that's a good sign, even if [your favorite VTT] didn't get a call-out.

For now, there is one thing they probably could do, with no real resource expenditure: get a VTT support section stickied here on the forums. Up next to the GCA section, maybe? Below that, sections for each VTT that has an active GURPS community. This way, people coming here can see that activity, and not have to be routed to another website to get downloads and info, or look for a game to join.

Unofficial support. Or would that be semi-official?

(Something like one of these: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...antasy+grounds)

Last edited by Gigermann; 03-04-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #145
benz72

Lots of people are going to have a lot more time in front of their computers for a while... hopefully there will be some good VTT GURPSing going on.
Stay safe everybody.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:11 AM   #146
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
It is still my opinion that "official" GURPS support for any VTT really won't change anything. They aren't going to create content in-house. As far as I know, they don't do that for GCA. So far, they have done the most supportive thing they can do, that is, to allow the community to create GURPS rulesets for various VTTs.
But one can see reasons for that with regards to GCA as GCS is in many ways superior (runs on three rather then just one OS, is open source, and is free). Why create anything in house for GCA when everybody knowledgable will go with GCS?
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:14 AM   #147
KataH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
I ask because I don't genuinely know: have the Roll20-GURPS guys gone directly to SJG asking for support? I know this was the case with FG (because I was a part of it). Did they decline? Do we know why? Is it something that can be improved?

Edit: having re-skimmed the whole friggin thread, now, I see that they have made contact in the past.
Yes we have contacted SJG many times about supporting VTTs. Through this thread, through direct emails, and in some cases in person There just does not seem to be any interest in VTT support.

To the people who say the character sheet is not user friendly to those that have never played GURPS, I am not sure which VTT they are referencing or just in general - all I can say is that is due to copy write and licensing restriction that SJG has in place. Look it up yourself and you will see what I mean.

As far as GCA vs. GCS, that is not part of this thread. Use what you like or open another thread about them.

"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!"
KataH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #148
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by KataH View Post
There just does not seem to be any interest in VTT support.
While that may have been true in the past, I feel pretty confident in saying it isn't the case anymore.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #149
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KataH View Post
To the people who say the character sheet is not user friendly to those that have never played GURPS, I am not sure which VTT they are referencing or just in general - all I can say is that is due to copy write and licensing restriction that SJG has in place. Look it up yourself and you will see what I mean.
I was the person who said that, with regard to Roll20, and I'm not blaming the people working on the unofficial Roll20 sheet at all. I think I even said so in my post. The problem stems from SJG not lending official support so the sheet creators can't make a sheet that will attract more people to using GURPS on VTTs, especially for streams.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #150
Dalin

My regular group is delving into Roll20 for the first time. It looks fairly straightforward thus far, but I have yet to run a game. A few of us are going to run a quick session tomorrow to see if it will serve as an interim measure.

We may not use the character sheet at first because it’s a lot of data entry, but I think it looks pretty slick. Are there any issues using it with DFRPG?

I’ve resisted VTTs because they seem to need prep in areas where I don’t invest much time. My maps are usually in my head or roughly sketched in my notebook. I also tend to run games with a lot of plot flexibility so I make up a lot on the fly. I figure I’ll use the freehand drawing tools a lot, but they’re not very sophisticated. We’ll see how it goes.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy grounds, roll20, virtual tabletop, vtt