Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2017, 06:08 AM   #11
Ronnke

Default Re: Recommendations for best virtual tabletop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
Ronnke, I will be checking out your links today!
I hope they help. There is another link you will want if decide to pull the trigger on Fantasy Grounds. This is the GURPS Ruleset thread on the FG forums, it has all the info you need to get setup: GURPS FG Ruleset
Old 08-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #12
seycyrus

I'm late to the thread, but I much prefer Fantasy Grounds.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #13
kmunoz

I'm fiddling around in the demo right now and it looks like it will do the trick.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #14
trooper6

Any Mac Users out there? Have you tried Fantasy Grounds? I see that FG is usable on Mac through WINE. I've seen WINE ports be not so great in the past with other programs.

So it FantasyGrounds okay on the Mac...or is it clunky?
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Any Mac Users out there? Have you tried Fantasy Grounds? I see that FG is usable on Mac through WINE. I've seen WINE ports be not so great in the past with other programs.

So it FantasyGrounds okay on the Mac...or is it clunky?
I'm a Mac user, and I find Wine/Crossover not to be worth the frustration for anything, really. I run everything through a VMWare virtual machine. (I don't use Boot Camp because for some reason my 2014 Mac Mini can't run it, no matter how many times I yell at it or explain to it patiently that it's on the list of acceptable hardware for Boot Camp.)

From what I've seen so far, Fantasy Grounds works fine in VMWare. (It would also probably work fine in Parallels, or in Boot Camp.)
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #16
trooper6

Quote:
I'm a Mac user, and I find Wine/Crossover not to be worth the frustration for anything, really. I run everything through a VMWare virtual machine. (I don't use Boot Camp because for some reason my 2014 Mac Mini can't run it, no matter how many times I yell at it or explain to it patiently that it's on the list of acceptable hardware for Boot Camp.)

From what I've seen so far, Fantasy Grounds works fine in VMWare. (It would also probably work fine in Parallels, or in Boot Camp.)
Hm. If the only way to run Fantasy Grounds smoothly is to do it through Window (albeit virtually), then I guess I'll stick with Roll20...considering I use GCS rather than GCA (which isn't Mac compatible), I suppose that make double sense to stick with Roll20.

Last edited by trooper6; 08-12-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #17
hal

Quote:

I was all set to try Harn for a Mac user, but the individual couldn't seem to make it work in the wine environment.

Last edited by hal; 08-12-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Autocorrect good made Harn into Harm darnit
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #18
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Hm. If the only way to run Fantasy Grounds smoothly is to do it through Window (albeit virtually), then I guess I'll stick with Roll20...considering I use GCS rather than GCA (which isn't Mac compatible), I suppose that make double sense to stick with Roll20.

The new version of FG (no release date yet. Soon?) is cross platform and will include some really nice features.

https://youtu.be/4FjwaYqdAbM
Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #19
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
The new version of FG (no release date yet. Soon?) is cross platform and will include some really nice features.

https://youtu.be/4FjwaYqdAbM
Interesting! But it won't come out (it doesn't seem) for at least another two months. But native? That is exciting.

I'm really wanting to try and stream some stuff before the semester starts...so I might have to run off of Roll20 to start at least.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #20
Captain Joy

My VTT experience has been with Roll20 as a player from my Mac computer. We used Discord for audio and Roll20 for everything else. The GM made use of GURPS calculator; which only effected me by requiring me to export my GCS to it, which is trivial to do.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps online, virtual tabletop