Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #21
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Converting "Problematic" Spells to Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That's not what Uncontrollable means. It's not even close to what uncontrollable means. Uncontrollable means "Your ability tends to manifest itself at undesirable or inappropriate times." Are you claiming that it's undesirable or inappropriate to avoid being shot?
Unconscious Only requires Uncontrollable, and makes your power activate only with a specific trigger. Combined with Reflexive, it becomes a net +10% enhancement that says "this will avoid this specific trigger, whether you want to take the hit or not, and do nothing else for you."
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #22
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Unconscious Only requires Uncontrollable, and makes your power activate only with a specific trigger. Combined with Reflexive, it becomes a net +10% enhancement that says "this will avoid this specific trigger, whether you want to take the hit or not, and do nothing else for you."
I assume you're talking about "Uncontrollable Trigger", not regular Uncontrollable, and even then "Uncontrollable Trigger: Being Shot At" still means it behaves in the normal way for an Uncontrollable power, which is to say it acts as if controlled by an entity of "prankish or hostile nature". It also doesn't include any expanded sensory abilities (so it won't work against attacks you aren't aware of), and it's subject to the normal limitation of Reflexive (which does not automatically trigger fast enough to avoid an attack -- it requires a successful Power Dodge).

What you want is Insubstantial, Can Carry XH +100%, Affects Substantial +100%, Missile Attacks Only -50% [200]. This means you take a Ready action to turn it on, and then you are insubstantial to missiles. If you added Reflexive, the first time someone shot at you you'd make a Power Dodge, and then you'd be insubstantial (no additional dodge rolls required) until you turned the advantage off.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #23
Nereidalbel

Explain your reasoning for Affect Substantial. It has zero value here.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
Explain your reasoning for Affect Substantial. It has zero value here.
If you want to affect the substantial while using a power based on insubstantial, you need affect substantial. This is true even if you're using a limited form of insubstantial.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #25
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
If you want to affect the substantial while using a power based on insubstantial, you need affect substantial. This is true even if you're using a limited form of insubstantial.
And what are you affecting while insubstantial? Unless you're using a build based on Always On, you're only insubstantial while being shot at.

That said, I wouldn't object to paying the +100% for Cosmic: NDRR in my previous build. Nobody gets to argue over whether you should roll or not that way.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
And what are you affecting while insubstantial? Unless you're using a build based on Always On, you're only insubstantial while being shot at.
If you don't want to be making power dodge rolls, you're going to use a build that's switched on and stays that way.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #27
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Healing: Your choice of Healing advantage or Afflicting Regeneration, depending on whether you prefer instant heals or heals over time. Either way, there's no cheap way to do it.
There should be no cheap way to do it. GURPS Magic is wrong here. As in so many other case.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:58 AM   #28
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post
Hey, all. Long-time lurker here, made an account so I could ask for some advice.

I'm trying to convert some spells from GURPS: Magic to use within the Sorcery framework (Magic as Powers). It's fairly straightforward for most spells, but I'm having difficulty with others. I'm trying to keep relative point costs and effects as consistent as possible.
If you're using sorcery, I'd strongly recommend picking up the recent GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, as it answers many of these questions.

Quote:
Healing - buying it as the Healing advantage is very expensive compared to it's cost in Magic.
See Minor Healing in Sorcery for one take on this.

Quote:
Flash - how do I model the "absolute" -3 to DX? IIRC, "unresistable" Afflictions are not allowed by RAW.
Don't get hung up in trying to convert over the exact game-mechanical effects. Convert the feel of the spell and what it's supposed to do -- by which I mean, how a person in the setting would describe the spell.

The simplest way to convert Flash is an Affliction that gives -3 to DX and has Secondary Disadvantage, Blindness. That way anyone who fails their HT roll is at -3 DX, who fails by 5+ is fully blinded.

Quote:
Recover Energy - buying a similar level of Regeneration (Fatigue Only) is far too expensive. Is there any other way?
Skip this one. The whole reason Recover Energy exists is that GURPS Magic is a fatigue-based system. Sorcery isn't. Sorcerous spells are dirt cheap in terms of energy cost (heck, they're free if you use Alternative Rituals and aren't hiding) and thus don't need a mechanism for rapidly recovering energy.

Quote:
Missile Shield - it makes the subject immune to most missile attacks (Physical, Ranged), and it's a passive effect, so Enhanced Defenses wouldn't be appropriate.
Sorcery includes a Reverse Missiles spell. Missile Shield is just that minus Reflection.

Quote:
Suspend Time and Time Out - I have no idea where to begin.
Suspend Time is in Sorcery. Time Out is trickier; frankly, the fairest way to do it is a Temporal Stasis Affliction that affects the rest of the universe. Expensive as heck, but that's because it's an insanely powerful spell.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #29
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Suspend Time is in Sorcery. Time Out is trickier; frankly, the fairest way to do it is a Temporal Stasis Affliction that affects the rest of the universe. Expensive as heck, but that's because it's an insanely powerful spell.
I'd just build this using Jumper (Time Stop). I think that's probably the fairest, sanest approach and I've used that variation of Jumper for years without real issue.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #30
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I'd just build this using Jumper (Time Stop). I think that's probably the fairest, sanest approach and I've used that variation of Jumper for years without real issue.
Really? When I tried playtesting it, it seemed vastly underpriced. For the cost of ATR 1, you can call a time out whenever you want, take all the time you need to heal yourself, walk around and observe the position of every single enemy, and then place yourself directly behind one of them while aiming carefully at the back of his head. Take the shot, then freeze time again. There's a reason that version of Jumper isn't canon.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorcery