Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #61
JMason

Default Re: Simple way to Play GURPS and other RPGs online

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I'm grateful for any simple solutions - I've tried many of the options listed but never got what I wanted.
Has anyone tried Roll20? I Kickstarted it but haven't had a chance to play with it:D
I've been uesing Roll20 with google hangouts for awhile. It has its quirks, but I've had fewer issues and crashes with it than any other vertual TT that I've tried (and I've tried just about all of them, gaming online since 2005).
JMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #62
jtsmith1287

First off, this is a great thread. I could sit and skim forever and find little nuggets of information.

However ...

Why are people not screaming about Roll20.net? I've seen 2 mentions - this is clearly the BEST solution for online rp. They even have a doc explaining how to set up the board (which takes about 15 seconds once you know the couple of settings to change) for GURPS 4E.

This site also has a Google Hangouts extension that let's you play simply through Hangouts with the Roll20 UI. It's brilliant. There's loads of free resources and loads of features. The amount of features far exceeds what I've ever needed in any face-to-face rp session. This is a good thing, of course, as the features aren't intrusive. You have to poke around to discover them and if you don't want to use them you don't have to.

I will say though that if you use a chromebook you'll possibly run into some glitches here and there. I am on a Chrome Pixel right now and haven't tested if it's a hardware thing or an OS thing (original test was on the lower end Samsung model), but I can update this post after I verify.

AAANNNWHOO ... Roll20.net It's just the best. If you haven't tried it yet give it a go. As the op stated as a desired "feature" it requires no install and there's about 20 seconds of explanation needed for players to know how to use it.

*whew*

Ok... My rant is complete.
jtsmith1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #63
Tinman

My group has been using RP map tools.
There are macros that let you roll dice, a good hex map, it lets you have tokens the you can put most of your stats on ect..
It's great for playing gurps. We use skype for talking while we play.
One of the thing's that makes my job as GM much esier with map tools is that I can put the NPC's stats on the tokens (the PCs cant see the stats) and I can esily track the NPC's damage ect.

PS: It's free.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #64
jtsmith1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
My group has been using RP map tools.
There are macros that let you roll dice, a good hex map, it lets you have tokens the you can put most of your stats on ect..
It's great for playing gurps. We use skype for talking while we play.
One of the thing's that makes my job as GM much esier with map tools is that I can put the NPC's stats on the tokens (the PCs cant see the stats) and I can esily track the NPC's damage ect.

PS: It's free.
You just described Roll20, only you don't have to download skype or any other software. I'm not trying to be a fan boy here, but it really is just the best.
jtsmith1287 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
virtual tabletop, virtual tabletops