Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
Dinadon

Default Some combat queries

I'm writing up my own set of combat cards, and I've run into some places were phrases are a little unclear:

Flurry of Blows/Mighty Blows - is the 1 FP paid before each attack, or is the cost paid before all attacks (and if it is, is it a combined cost for purposes of Fit/V.Fit)?

Sacrificial Dodge, Dodge and Drop, Dive and Cover, etc. - For some, it isn't clear if a retreat before will prevent them, or if it is possible to retreat afterwards.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Dustin

Default Re: Some combat queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Flurry of Blows/Mighty Blows - is the 1 FP paid before each attack, or is the cost paid before all attacks (and if it is, is it a combined cost for purposes of Fit/V.Fit)?
Nothing says you have to declare it all at once, so I would say just before each attack is fine. I don't think Very Fit affects the FP cost here - I interpret "lose FP at half the normal rate" as applying to FP loss over time, which the momentary exertion of Flurry/Mighty doesn't apply to.
Quote:
Sacrificial Dodge, Dodge and Drop, Dive and Cover, etc. - For some, it isn't clear if a retreat before will prevent them, or if it is possible to retreat afterwards.
Sorry, I'm not following here. Before or after what?
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Before or after what?
Using them.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
SuedodeuS

Quote:
I believe these options are special cases of Retreat - thus, you cannot use them and a normal Retreat in the same turn.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Maz

Quote:
For Flurry of blows you have to decide number of attacks before you start rolling as you have to determine the penalty to hit. And as such I would say that you pay the FP up front.
So if you decide to make 3 attacks at -18, you have to pay 3 FP to reduce it to -9. Then it doesn't matter if your target goes down on the first attack and you can't use the rest.

For Mighty blow I agree that you can pay per attack after each.

Quote:
Hmm I see your points, it isn't explicitly mentioned that you can't both make a Retreat and a Dodge and Drop in the same turn as they are two separate types of dodges. But we have always played as you can't. And I think thats the intention as they are just "retreat" but against melee or ranged.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
For Flurry of blows you have to decide number of attacks before you start rolling as you have to determine the penalty to hit. And as such I would say that you pay the FP up front.
So if you decide to make 3 attacks at -18, you have to pay 3 FP to reduce it to -9. Then it doesn't matter if your target goes down on the first attack and you can't use the rest.
Sure, you have to decide the number of attacks before you start rolling, but nothing requires you to use Extra Effort on every Rapid Strike - if you want, you can only spend 1 FP and Flurry just the first Rapid Strike, so why not keep it simple and pay-as-you-go? GURPS doesn't usually force declaration on anything until just before the dice are rolled.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Sure, you have to decide the number of attacks before you start rolling, but nothing requires you to use Extra Effort on every Rapid Strike - if you want, you can only spend 1 FP and Flurry just the first Rapid Strike, so why not keep it simple and pay-as-you-go? GURPS doesn't usually force declaration on anything until just before the dice are rolled.
Yeah ok ,thats a good point. I hadn't really thought about that. I think our group is going to keep with the "pay up front" as we like that Rapid strike is draining on FP, it is in 1 sec after all. But I can see argument for the other.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extra effort, retreat