Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #1
Tinman

Default First aid & recovering from unconsciousness

The book has rules on an injured person recovering from unconsciousness due to injury on p.423. However, I have not found any for using first aid to help/make someone recover. Are there any official rules for that?
Thanks.

The reason I'm asking is I'm GM & the players got ambushed by mercs hired to kill them. The took down the merc squad & wanted to interrogate the lone survivor. The last merc fell unconsciousness after being injured to HT-3.

My solution was to say use of first aid to revive someone from KO:
at 1HP or above: no penalty
At 0 & below: -1 penalty per HT level.
so, At HT-1: -2 penalty
so, At HT-2: -3 penalty
ect...
So to revive the merc at HT-3 I hat them roll first aid -4.

Thanks for any feedback.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:59 PM   #2
jacobmuller

Default Re: First aid & recovering from unconsciousness

I can't see anything either but
B423 "it is up to the GM to decide whether you are truly unconscious or just totally incapacitated by pain"
So it sounds like a fair enough decision.
Movie style - slap the guy until he's awake enough to answer?
But does the merc have info they can use? Do you want them to have it...
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:04 AM   #3
Refplace

I havent installed a decent PDF reader yet so no search function. But try Smelling salts.
If available I would think that would work well enough.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:56 AM   #4
bocephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
at 1HP or above: no penalty
At 0 & below: -1 penalty per HT level.
so, At HT-1: -2 penalty
so, At HT-2: -3 penalty
ect...
So to revive the merc at HT-3 I hat them roll first aid -4.

Thanks for any feedback.
I think you did fine. You were presented with a problem and came up with a simple enough solution.

I don't know that I have ever really worried about it as a GM, a successful first aid roll makes it feasible that the PCs could wake the NPC. It might just as easily stabilize them but your still going to have to babysit/transport them for a bit before they come around.

I think you did fine. Rule Zero done right, roll the dice and the story moves on.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:55 AM   #5
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I havent installed a decent PDF reader yet so no search function. But try Smelling salts.
If available I would think that would work well enough.
Biotech pg152, TL5, HT check, no mention of state of patient other than unconscious.
Applying a penalty to the HT check for being -3xHP is rather nice.
On the short, sharp, shock method: a French scientist used it on a guillotine victim's head to see how long until it stopped working.
So, "Hey, Wake up. What you got that's worth living for?" sounds good enough to not need a miracle.

Last edited by jacobmuller; 07-04-2022 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #6
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
First Aid does not revive someone who is unconscious, it restores hit points and prevents bleeding. You generally have to wait the normal recovery time to regain consciousness.

But was that mercenary really unconscious? "It is up to the GM to decide whether you are truly unconscious or just totally incapacitated by pain and injury – but either way, you can’t do anything."

You could have just ruled that that particular mercenary was just groggy and unable to stand, but able to answer questions, and you would have been within the rules as given in the text.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:33 AM   #7
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
But was that mercenary really unconscious? "It is up to the GM to decide whether you are truly unconscious or just totally incapacitated by pain and injury – but either way, you can’t do anything."

You could have just ruled that that particular mercenary was just groggy and unable to stand, but able to answer questions, and you would have been within the rules as given in the text.
That's a pretty extreme difference when it comes to perception checks and free actions. B423's strange statement about this seems inconsistent with descriptions elsewhere which just blatently state unconsciousness.

Like what, if I have Affliction: Unconscious to knock out guards so they can't hear me hatch an escape plan, the GM can rule they were only incapacitated but were still conscious and listening?

That's basically the difference between Unconscious +200% and Paralysis +150% on B56 ... smells bad to just conflate the two on a GM handwaive.

If there's some way to downgrade unconsciousness to merely paralysis where you can still make Perception checks, maybe there could be a roll for that?
Old 07-04-2022, 09:20 AM   #8
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
That's a pretty extreme difference when it comes to perception checks and free actions. B423's strange statement about this seems inconsistent with descriptions elsewhere which just blatently state unconsciousness.
Free actions are a combat-related thing to do. In combat, you've just "fallen unconscious." Whether that means you're actually unconscious or you've just fallen and can't do anything but moan from your pain, the effect is the same: you don't get to do anything. But once combat is over, the GM is free to use the leeway given to allow a prisoner to answer questions.

It's just a game. It's at least as much art as science, perhaps even more so. You don't need to scour the "canon" for some obscure bit of text that might be interpreted as altering the Basic Set's rule about recovery time. The given recovery times are simplified from reality for game play, and permission is given explicitly to the GM to interpret them as most convenient.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:46 PM   #9
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
if I have Affliction: Unconscious to knock out guards so they can't hear me hatch an escape plan, the GM can rule they were only incapacitated but were still conscious and listening?

That's basically the difference between Unconscious +200% and Paralysis +150% on B56 ... smells bad to just conflate the two on a GM handwaive.
I guess it depends on the GM.
My initial thought was, that's different but, it actually isn't. It really is GM fiat.
For that matter, Coma +250%, "profoundly unconscious"? Well, Locked In Syndrome, or folk in a coma hearing everything that happens but unable to do anything?
But it plays both ways - bad guys KO you and you overhear Their plans. Unless drugged into unconsciousness, except that there are cases of folk hearing what goes on during surgery...
Old 07-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #10
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I guess it depends on the GM.
My initial thought was, that's different but, it actually isn't. It really is GM fiat.
For that matter, Coma +250%, "profoundly unconscious"? Well, Locked In Syndrome, or folk in a coma hearing everything that happens but unable to do anything?
But it plays both ways - bad guys KO you and you overhear Their plans. Unless drugged into unconsciousness, except that there are cases of folk hearing what goes on during surgery...
And in those cases, it isn't necessarily that some folk hear what goes on during surgery, it's very probable that everyone hears what goes on during surgery. The difference is that only some people can access what they heard, thereby "remembering" what was heard. The same presumably applies to coma patients.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote