Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #91
doulos05

Default Re: [OOC] The Voyages of "The Hiawatha" [Hero Class] : GURPS Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup67vargr View Post
Did you ever consider that you might just want to avoid ship-to-ship combat, at least at first? Bullets for a .45 are MUCH, MUCH cheaper. Put the extra money into a faster maneuver drive and you might be able to avoid almost any scrape for long enough to reach a safe range from your would-be attacker.

Just a thought.....
Well, you'll notice I've include 11 magazines for each crewman for their standard issue H&K .40 Smith and Weston. Actually, if we went with the Pulse Laser, we could give everyone Gauss PDWs too, though people would need to take Guns (SMGs) to actually use them...
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #92
pup67vargr

Traveller assumes that the Smith & Wesson company is still in business? Or did you say Smith & Weston on purpose? Anyway, I was thinking a Glock 9mm. :-P
pup67vargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #93
doulos05

Quote:
Traveller assumes that the Smith & Wesson company is still in business? Or did you say Smith & Weston on purpose? Anyway, I was thinking a Glock 9mm. :-P
I made a typo. But either way I picked the model out of High Tech. I figured we'd want something lowish enough on the damage scale to reduce the risk of, shall we say, accidental decompression. But the PDWs, oh the PDWs. I had a pair of characters with PDWs in my Traveller game. It was... brutal. Of course, those are LC2 so that could be fun to explain to the authorities. The 15mm Magnum pistol, on the other hand... 4d+1 pi++ damage for less than $900 a pop. Ammo is a bit pricey though, at $1.20 per shell.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #94
MisterJuan

@pup67vargr
Is there anything in Ultra Tech that is off limit (well, beside everything over TL10)?
MisterJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #95
sn0wball

As far as weapons are concerned, into a ship´s locker belong weapons that are reasonably common, easy to use and as legal as possbile. Also, they shouldn´t be personalized to the crew - everyone is free to purchase its own arms.

I recommend 3 TL9 Autopistols, 9mm, 3 Autoshotguns and 3 Laser Pistols, all from Basic Set. I mean, what is Traveller without shotguns in space ?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #96
sn0wball

How detailed shall the equipment list be, everything, or only special items ?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #97
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wball View Post
Assuming we're going with the 80% rule (where you only spend 20% of your wealth in adventuring gear and starting cash), you get all the 'common' stuff that an average member of society at your status level and job would have as part of the 80%. Practically, that means at least a complete wardrobe, basic hygiene stuff, and personal necessities. That probably wouldn't include a computer (I assumed it didn't), but I could see it including batteries.

Don't forget when you select equipment, medical technology in Traveller lags 1 TL behind. So TL10 equipment, TL9 Medical Equipment.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #98
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
I made a typo. But either way I picked the model out of High Tech. I figured we'd want something lowish enough on the damage scale to reduce the risk of, shall we say, accidental decompression. .
Very good point there! See below about shotguns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJuan View Post
@pup67vargr
Is there anything in Ultra Tech that is off limit (well, beside everything over TL10)?
I guess you better run most things by me, except the sort of stuff that's 'always' been considered Traveller-esque.
Quote:
As far as weapons are concerned, into a ship´s locker belong weapons that are reasonably common, easy to use and as legal as possbile. Also, they shouldn´t be personalized to the crew - everyone is free to purchase its own arms.

I recommend 3 TL9 Autopistols, 9mm, 3 Autoshotguns and 3 Laser Pistols, all from Basic Set. I mean, what is Traveller without shotguns in space ?
I can see the 3 TL9 Autopistols, but let's increase it to 6 shotguns and, instead of 3 laser pistols, make it 4. Oh, and about a boatload of ammo for all of the above. Three power packs for each laser -- one in the weapon, one charging, and one spare, and you'll need to rotate all three through the weapon on a regular basis.
Quote:
Gonna need everything belonging to the characters. Probably better figure on everything for the Ship's Locker, too, but I might not be above fudging that a little bit here and there if necessary. Hopefully, though, it won't be necessary, since I'm pretty much letting you pick out just about anything you want.
Quote:
Assuming we're going with the 80% rule (where you only spend 20% of your wealth in adventuring gear and starting cash), you get all the 'common' stuff that an average member of society at your status level and job would have as part of the 80%. Practically, that means at least a complete wardrobe, basic hygiene stuff, and personal necessities. That probably wouldn't include a computer (I assumed it didn't), but I could see it including batteries.

Don't forget when you select equipment, medical technology in Traveller lags 1 TL behind. So TL10 equipment, TL9 Medical Equipment.
I guess that 80% rule will be okay for now. Just please don't abuse it. And the sick bay will need to be stocked with supplies by the "Doc"/Medic. I'm not sure how big the budget for that needs to be, but I'm willing to entertain proposals.

BTW, good to see that everybody got in on the posting today! :-)

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-16-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #99
doulos05

Quote:
Very good point there! See below about shotguns...

I guess you better run most things by me, except the sort of stuff that's 'always' been considered Traveller-esque.
Right, I'll go through and bold the items on my equipment list from the captain that came out of UT.

Quote:
I can see the 3 TL9 Autopistols, but let's increase it to 6 shotguns and, instead of 3 laser pistols, make it 4. Oh, and about a boatload of ammo for all of the above. Three power packs for each laser -- one in the weapon, one charging, and one spare, and you'll need to rotate all three through the weapon on a regular basis.
I'll price all that out and post it here for reference.

Quote:
Gonna need everything belonging to the characters. Probably better figure on everything for the Ship's Locker, too, but I might not be above fudging that a little bit here and there if necessary. Hopefully, though, it won't be necessary, since I'm pretty much letting you pick out just about anything you want.
Check. I want it to be as thorough as possible, but it's good to know if we make a mistake my PC won't be missing clean skivvies for the Imperial Ball.

Quote:
I guess that 80% rule will be okay for now. Just please don't abuse it. And the sick bay will need to be stocked with supplies by the "Doc"/Medic. I'm not sure how big the budget for that needs to be, but I'm willing to entertain proposals.

BTW, good to see that everybody got in on the posting today! :-)
I accounted for 50 patient/days of medicine as well as 10 crash kits and a set of surgical tools in the ships locker if I remember correctly.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:08 AM   #100
pup67vargr

Quote:
Right, I'll go through and bold the items on my equipment list from the captain that came out of UT.

Check. I want it to be as thorough as possible, but it's good to know if we make a mistake my PC won't be missing clean skivvies for the Imperial Ball.

I accounted for 50 patient/days of medicine as well as 10 crash kits and a set of surgical tools in the ships locker if I remember correctly.
If you have questionable items on your equipment list, please specifically mention them here and get approval first, ok? Nice try, but you can't shift the burden of proof to the GM by saying 'Hey, you never told me I couldn't have this nuclear whiz-bang gadget!' I'm telling all players right now that anything not on the list of commonly available items needs to be given prior approval, or said item is quite apt to vanish mid-voyage.

skivvies are one thing, but there will likely be no assumptions made about that extra box of ammo that you intended to get but never actually mentioned getting.