Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2010, 03:49 AM   #11
the_seeker

Default Re: New to GURPS; Advice?

Oh, and one more thing...

Since your campaign will be using magic, find and download The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata by Steven E Ehrbar. It's a free PDF, and Ehrbar is a Forumite so it should be easy to find. If you find him, you've found it. :)

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Saving the universe one planet at a time. Occasionally from my own mistakes. Oops.
the_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_seeker View Post
Oh, and one more thing...

Since your campaign will be using magic, find and download The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata by Steven E Ehrbar. It's a free PDF, and Ehrbar is a Forumite so it should be easy to find. If you find him, you've found it. :)
I just downloaded it. That seems serious work by Ehrbar!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
the_seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
I just downloaded it. That seems serious work by Ehrbar!
And very useful. Must remember to thank him for it (can't remember if I already have or not). Sometimes I feel a bit unproductive because all I've ever contributed to the GURPS community is my smiling and somewhat daft presence here and a host of wild ideas.

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Saving the universe one planet at a time. Occasionally from my own mistakes. Oops.
the_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
Natael

There seems to be a lot of fans of the GURPS Character Assistant, though from my understanding it is not free, so I have not used it. The GURPS Character Sheet (first google link should have it) is an amazing piece of free software that is absolutely fantastic for keeping track of stats, skills, advantages and gear.
Natael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
Gef

Best advice I can give, is to use the search function on this here forum. Lots of advice has already been given to folks asking the same question, and if you plan to feature magic based on the standard system*, then you can find discussions on which spells can break campaigns. A couple of fairly recent threads may be worth a gander:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=70238 general advice for a new GM (I know you're not new to GMing, just GURPS, but it's relevant)
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=69954 advice on how to build a mage. It'll show some of what you're in for from you players

*GURPS does not have a magic system, it has a "standard" magic system, and by standard, I mean reference standard. You tweak it beyond recognition to get the feel you want for your specific campaign, and when you ask a question on these forums, you tell us the ways your version differs from the standard. GURPS Thaumatology is a big book of ways to tweak or totally replace the standard system. (GURPS Fantasy is probably unnecessary if you are an experienced gamer.)

Last edited by Gef; 09-12-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new gm, new guy