Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #51
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: How should i run monsters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
And yet there are advantages in the book that make you immune to certain kinds of situation that cause damage.
And poison immunity prevents damage-causing poisoning! Which likewise completely fails to conflict with Mark Skarr's citation.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #52
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
And poison immunity prevents damage-causing poisoning! Which likewise completely fails to conflict with Mark Skarr's citation.
Immunity gives automatic success on resistance rolls. GURPS seems to make the assumption that all toxic damage will be resisted in some way other than DR, though that isn't actually enforced anywhere in the rules.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #53
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Immunity gives automatic success on resistance rolls. GURPS seems to make the assumption that all toxic damage will be resisted in some way other than DR, though that isn't actually enforced anywhere in the rules.
Yes. These things are known.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:26 AM   #54
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
...What type of fire does 6dx10(3) damage exactly? You said immunity to fire, not...rainbow laser cannon?

And, well, who said immunity to major ordinance should be cheap?
Classic as it allowed the Resist Fire (item) Knack. :-)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:33 AM   #55
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Powers is from November 2005. There have been a lot of tweaks and changes in the some 16 years since it came out.

For example, Basic which is one year older (2004) got the section on Magery with regards to limitations (p 66-67) totally revised in Thaumatology (p 20-21) as explained in Partially Limited Magery

Thaumatology is from 2008 which means there are likely revisions after it.

This is why I don't take much stock in a 16 year old rule given that in just 4 how magery with limitations worked, as presented in the core book, got changed.

I'm not exactly thrilled with this as it reminds me of how Classic started going off the rails where the "Universal" part of the game got effectively thrown out the window as what the "canonal" rules were varied depending on which books you had.

Classic: Aliens is a prime example of that as the Compendiums effectively threw out many of its point totals and even changed how some of the advantages and disadvantages worked.
Your argument of "this rule is old therefore it should not be paid attention to" is only strong if you have a more recent example of a different rule overruling it - not a case of "this other old rule got overruled". Do you have such an example?
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #56
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
Your argument of "this rule is old therefore it should not be paid attention to" is only strong if you have a more recent example of a different rule overruling it - not a case of "this other old rule got overruled". Do you have such an example?
No I expressly stated what my position was: "given how flexible GURPS is I wouldn't say there is a "canonical solution" to any problem."

As for a more recent example of changes, take a look at the Verne's Nautilus TL in GURPS Adaptations (2016; 2017) vs it in Vehicles: Steampunk Conveyances (2017).

For former used 2000 Classic: Steampunk's TL (5+1) but in 4e that means realistic alternative tech.

Vehicles: Steampunk Conveyances finally corrected it to TL (5+1)^ ie super science alternative tech which is how Classic: Steampunk used some of TL (5+1) as there was no superscience category back then.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #57
Daigoro

I thought we were helping a newbie run monsters.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #58
Opellulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionspelunker View Post
Thanks for all the tips. Is there any good way to know what might be a good fight for my players or what is likely to kill them with ease?
I'm currently running a Witcher based fantasy campaign with novice players and one of the challenges was to introduce them to the different Gurps combat system and flow. Many come from Pathfinder where the combat is just rolling damage dices until your opponent drop dead.

I planned three different combat encounters to teach them the basics:
- A group of bandits (for movement, basic actions... and also to show them that most enemies will flee given the chance ;)
- A pack of wolves (for environmental combat, all out attacks and close combat options)
- And the next fight will be against 3 wights to introduce them to injury tolerance and targeted attacks (since their are frail the best strategy is to amputate them)

Honestly an Hydra seems a really complex monster to handle: multiple heads, attacks, regeneration, superior size and reach so i would not start from there but everything depends on your party experience.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #59
maximara
On Notice

[QUOTE=Opellulo;2366615]I'm currently running a Witcher based fantasy campaign with novice players and one of the challenges was to introduce them to the different Gurps combat system and flow. Many come from Pathfinder where the combat is just rolling damage dices until your opponent drop dead.

I planned three different combat encounters to teach them the basics:
- A group of bandits (for movement, basic actions... and also to show them that most enemies will flee given the chance ;)
- A pack of wolves (for environmental combat, all out attacks and close combat options)
- And the next fight will be against 3 wights to introduce them to injury tolerance and targeted attacks (since their are frail the best strategy is to amputate them)

Crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run.

The "Wight is iffy as there are at least three "off the shelf" types of "Wights" in GURPS: Blood Types (which is also a vampire with a [306] version...ouch), Undead's ([-69] converted without any of the Lenses) and the one in Fantasy ([80])

This is what I meant about there not being any. "canonal" way to do things in GURPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
Honestly an Hydra seems a really complex monster to handle: multiple heads, attacks, regeneration, superior size and reach so i would not start from there but everything depends on your party experience.
I agree with this especially in a gritty setting as is planned. In fact, I would avoid anything with combat relevent exotic advantages until the players are at least familiar with Combat Lite.

Tags
new gm, opponents