Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
onetrikpony

Default (n00b) Help with Detect Power

* Did google, faq, and forum search *

I'd like to build a "Detect Magic and Psionics" sense power for a class of characters. I'm kind of stumped using the Size & Speed/Range table for Sense Roll modifiers.

This is how it should work:
* The power allows a character to "sniff out" magic Items, people who can cast spells, & people who can use Psi powers at a base range of 50ft.
* The power allows a character to detect active magic and psionic events; spell casting, psionic power use, active magic items, at a base range of 400ft.

My basic questions:
1, Does the S&S/R table apply directly to sense rolls? (it seems a little short ranged for vision rolls; 50% chance to notice a person standing 2 yards away?)
2, are these powers modeled better by Increased Range modifiers or Acute Senses?
3, How is the effect of Increased Range (sense) 5x (+20%), different than 4 Levels of Accute Sense [8] ?

What I've got so far:
Detect Magery >0 (occasional) [12]; (Increased Range 5x +20%)
Detect Active Magic Use/Effect (rare) [8]; (Increased Range 50x +50%)
Detect Psychic Talent (occasional) [12]; (Increased Range 5x +20%)
Detect Active Psychic Use/Effect (rare) [8]; (Increased Range 50x +50%)

Thanks for your consideration

Last edited by onetrikpony; 11-23-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: tag post, turn on notifications
onetrikpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Grayscale

Default Re: (n00b) Help with Detect Power

I can only help with number 1:

Don't forget the +10 to spot targets in plain sight, like it says on b358
Grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
onetrikpony

:embarrassed:

Somehow I skipped over that.

So,is it appropriate to write the power in such a way that Active Use of magic or psionics is equivalent to "Plain Sight"?
onetrikpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrikpony View Post
:embarrassed:

Somehow I skipped over that.

So,is it appropriate to write the power in such a way that Active Use of magic or psionics is equivalent to "Plain Sight"?
Sure, to get the difference in range requires GM judgement anyhow.
To me it makes sense that spotting spell casting could be done farther away than spotting the aura (or whatever) of a passive mage not using his ability.
I would also give a bonus for bigger spells, say +1 Per for every point the spell costs to cast (before reduction for high skill) with the default magic system.

As for Increased Range Mod vs. Acute Sense it depends where your going.
Acute Sense is cheaper on most detects and makes it easier to spot small or hidden things. Increased Range is likely more expensive but at larger ranges more efficient.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrikpony View Post
I'd like to build a "Detect Magic and Psionics" sense power for a class of characters. I'm kind of stumped using the Size & Speed/Range table for Sense Roll modifiers.

This is how it should work:
* The power allows a character to "sniff out" magic Items, people who can cast spells, & people who can use Psi powers at a base range of 50ft.
* The power allows a character to detect active magic and psionic events; spell casting, psionic power use, active magic items, at a base range of 400ft.

My basic questions:
1, Does the S&S/R table apply directly to sense rolls? (it seems a little short ranged for vision rolls; 50% chance to notice a person standing 2 yards away?)
2, are these powers modeled better by Increased Range modifiers or Acute Senses?
3, How is the effect of Increased Range (sense) 5x (+20%), different than 4 Levels of Accute Sense [8] ?

What I've got so far:
Detect Magery >0 (occasional) [12]; (Increased Range 5x +20%)
Detect Active Magic Use/Effect (rare) [8]; (Increased Range 50x +50%)
Detect Psychic Talent (occasional) [12]; (Increased Range 5x +20%)
Detect Active Psychic Use/Effect (rare) [8]; (Increased Range 50x +50%)
1, Already answered. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)
2, I like they way you’ve done it with increased range, assuming you don’t want the ranges changing from one character to the next. You could then let individuals add levels of Acute Sense if they want to improve their ability; which seems easier than fiddling with Increased Range enhancements.
3, If all uses of the Detect ability are subject to range penalties, then there is no functional difference. The cost in character points will be different.

If only one if the above uses can be used at a time, then you should apply the Alternative Abilities 1/5 point cost discount (Powers, p. 11). EDIT: By my calculations, this would bring the total cost of your Detect Magic/Psi ability down to 18 points – which seems plenty for what this ability gets you.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 11-27-2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: additional material
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magery, psychic, speed/range