Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Thursday is GURPS Day: Links and format!

I'll be aggregating GURPS content each week for a weekly roundup to be posted on Thursday.

The short version:
  • If you have a blog . . .
  • If you write about GURPS . . .
  • Send me a note at GURPSDay@gmail.com with
    1. A single category from the set of Campaigns, Characters, Mechanics and Rules, Play Reports, Reviews
    2. The post title and an embedded link
    3. Your blog landing page with an embedded link
    4. A few lines (no more than three) summarizing your post

Please try and follow the format guidelines in the linked post, including labels (Campaigns, Characters, Mechanics and Rules, Play Reports, Reviews). Include NSFW in your summary if you're being naughty.

The Long Version

if you blog about GURPS, even if (sigh) it's not on Thursday, drop me an email by 6pm CST each Wednesday. at GURPSDay@gmail.com and include the following information in the body of the email.

Category

While I might change these up later, include the kind of post that you're making, as a heading.
  • Campaigns and Worldbuilding: Adventures, entire worlds, maps, organizations . . . anything that will make a campaign interesting. Monsters! Equipment!
  • Characters: Actual character builds, advantages, skills, and other things that have to do with making interesting characters. That includes templates.
  • Mechanics and Rules: Existing and alternate rules, and discussion of them. Spells! Combat! Melee Academy posts will go here, too.
  • Play Reports: got a session report you want to share? Share it here!
  • Reviews: Got something to say about a GURPS product? Put it here!

Post Title
Please include the title of the post on your blog, with an included link. So like this:

Melee Academy: Disarms in four systems

Link to Main Blog Page in Parenthesis

Follow the main link with a link to the landing page of your blog, in parenthesis. Type the name of the blog, and include an embedded hyperlink.

(Gaming Ballistic)

One to Three short sentences summarizing the post

Pretty much what it says. As briefly as you can, tell the reader what your post is about. Be terse. I mean, really, really terse.

If your post will get people walked down to Human Resources, sued for divorce, or permanently damage the psyche of children or adults, please label it NSFW. "Adult" or "mature" gaming content can be perfectly awesome, but respect that not everyone wants to see it on their office computer! NSFW posts will not be aggregated in any linked SJG material - they'll be separated out in a different post on my blog. It's best to avoid them.

Example Email
The overall look of the body of the email would look like this:

Quote:
Mechanics and Rules

Melee Academy: Disarms in four systems (Gaming Ballistic): How to take a weapon away from your foe in GURPS, as compared to D&D, Fate, and Night's Black Agents. Includes links to seven related posts on other blogs.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
DouglasCole

Default Re: Thursday is GURPS Day: Links and format!

GURPSDay might be about to get easier.

I'm still working through details, but a friend of mine just helped hugely by writing a PERL script to pull content, appropriately formatted in a useful way.

We can even include a brief synopsis of a post, but it'll have to be formatted the right way.

This means that instead of mailing me each post, as the guidelines currently state, you will be able to just request me to add your blog to the list of scraped sites, presuming you:

1. Enable your RSS feed
2. Tag your posts with GURPS (for the moment) or maybe GURPSDay using Blogger's Labels or WordPress' equivalent. For non-Blogger, non-WordPress . . . I don't know yet.
3. If you want a brief (think twitter-length) summary, we can pull it, but you'll have to format it a certain way (this will not be hard).

Once I get this down (I'm a complete novice at PERL and such), this will be pretty easy for everyone.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
Celti

What format do the items in the RSS feed need to be? Currently I have <category> elements for each tag, including GURPS; I have no idea what the synopsis element should be like.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:54 AM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
What format do the items in the RSS feed need to be? Currently I have <category> elements for each tag, including GURPS; I have no idea what the synopsis element should be like.
The synopsis will look like:

Precis - This post talks about posting about posts. Here's a second sentence. And a third.

The key bits will be the word "Precis -" in bold in the front, and a double carriage return at the end. Beyond that, i can't say yet. Please have patience. We're trying to make it as easy as possible.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #5
RogerBW

It looks as if Gaming Ballistic (presumably automatically through Blogspot) is using <category term="foo"/> rather than the more standard <category>foo</category>.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
It looks as if Gaming Ballistic (presumably automatically through Blogspot) is using <category term="foo"/> rather than the more standard <category>foo</category>.
Well, I certainly haven't changed anything! whatever Jeffro was doing with the PERL script, it didn't have trouble picking out my and others' posts, but I'll add it to the list of stuff to consider.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
DouglasCole

If you want your blog to appear on the Thursday published summaries, please do as much of the following as you can:

1. Send me an email at gurpsday@gmail.com and I can get you on the contact list so that if I make changes or find out stuff, I can communicate with you.

2. Give me a link to your blog

3. Even better, give me a link to your RSS feed

4. Even better, give me a link to your RSS feed that only outputs things with the GURPS tag!

Having seen the evidence that it can be done only with 2 (because we can usually get 3), and also from RogerBW that 4 exists, or can be made to, we are close to being able to aggregate, automatically, all the GURPS. ALL of it. Palpatine will be envious.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Having seen the evidence that it can be done only with 2 (because we can usually get 3), and also from RogerBW that 4 exists, or can be made to, we are close to being able to aggregate, automatically, all the GURPS. ALL of it. Palpatine will be envious.
"Initiate Order 3d6."

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
"Initiate Order 3d6."
OH, THAT'S GOOD.