Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #81
Anders

Default Re: If GURPS did a Kickstarter what would you want it to be?

Is the company ready for the gratuitous nudity? I mean, the movie had all women topless all the time. All men too.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #82
Phil Masters

That's no worse than Planet Krishna. It's Sean Connery in a nappy that gets the book a cellophane wrap in every shop.

Unless he's on the cover. In which case, online sales only.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #83
Lancewholelot

This thread be slain by Zardoz!
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:59 AM   #84
tantric
Banned

A new, fully integrated computer assistant, which not only lets you build characters with the full text of the books, but can manage combat and maps and multiperson video chat. IE, what 5e should be. Seriously, people, PDFs? Why are we using computers to electronically mimic a format dictated by the limits of obsolete technology? Why on earth would you want a 3d model of a book on your computer when you can have an interactive database? It's like getting on a train, holding your luggages and pacing the duration of the trip.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:02 AM   #85
Cybren

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
A new, fully integrated computer assistant, which not only lets you build characters with the full text of the books, but can manage combat and maps and multiperson video chat. IE, what 5e should be. Seriously, people, PDFs? Why are we using computers to electronically mimic a format dictated by the limits of obsolete technology? Why on earth would you want a 3d model of a book on your computer when you can have an interactive database? It's like getting on a train, holding your luggages and pacing the duration of the trip.
Yeah, this is where I was going with mine. I also just kind of want something that can more easily handle layering optional rules and displaying relevant rules. Preparing campaigns always involves making and collating dozens of page references. GCA helps a lot but optional rules for things like, say, Increased Armor Penetration for Firearms from alternate GURPS, requires even more work to implement in the program.
Cybren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #86
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
I certainly did, I thought it was self evident.

So you think Stevie baby is ready to run with this idea? The cover art alone would be awesome.
100% unlikely.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #87
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
100% unlikely.
Clearly, you Austinites have not been making mandatory Zardoz viewings a part of every workday. The All Wise and Knowing Connery will not be pleased.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:20 AM   #88
Anders

"The Combat Chapter is Good. The CharGen Chapter is Evil."
Old 10-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #89
Proteus

I realize there's a certain amount of humor and idle wishing in this thread, along with what seems to be some earnest hoping. But the latter seems to ignore pretty standard SJG practice, which we've been told before: any Kickstarter has to involve stuff already present and notionally complete, without relying on external writers or internal playtesting, with Kickstarter funds used for printing and presentation. Ogre already existed, and the Kickstarter funds just made the presentation bigger and better.

So an example of an "easy" option might be a printed collection of the Action or Low-Tech Companion series — with stretch goals for, perhaps, a hard cover, or continuous page numbering and indexing (which would NOT be a normal expectation, because it takes a lot of editorial effort and oversight!).

Another might be reprints of Cardboard Heroes — but that's much less likely, because it's a well-explored space with more recent and diverse art from other, fairly frequent Kickstarters.

You might be lucky enough to see a digital revision of, say, the Traveller deckplan series, with stretch goals for additional PDF layers (turn a scout into a seeker, or fill/empty the cargo hold on a trader) or for digital miniatures. But even that probably relies on the presence of the original digital line-art, and somebody at SJG who has the knowledge and time to work with it.

NO SJG Kickstarter project (IMHO) is going to involve a reprint of GURPS Magic, unless the company has already previously and specifically devoted the time and resources necessary to overhaul the book, and merely requires Kickstarter to, essentially, take pre-orders and fund the execution of an already-completed product. Ditto for any grand dreams of computer-driven referee or player tools: most likely, the product will exist in substantive form before ANY announcement is made, most especially on a very public forum like Kickstarter. Remember the hard lessons of Hot Lead, my brethren.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #90
Anders

Then I'd like the entire DF series in printed format. Those who donate enough get to play with Sean Punch for one session, provided he pays for transportation and lodging and pays proper respects to cat and parrot.

Tags
kickstarter