Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-22-2023, 07:55 AM   #1341
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Guard: "Normally they close the portals unless they are being used, but I was only informed I'm supposed to guard this portal".

Wharid pulls Peter aside: "I haven't told the higher priesthood about this one yet. I wanted to explore it a little first. I got the guard to make sure nothing happened though."

Peter has read up on the ritual to close the gate... he'll need incense to do it though.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:31 PM   #1342
the_matrix_walker

Peter a bit set aback by the preist's balking of authority in failing to report the portal.

Should he? Should he care? Is he a tattletale? a Narc?

For most of his life, Peter would seek out an authority figure or a rule when in real doubt. He wasn't averse to proverbially or literally stealing from the cookie jar on occasion, but never when the stakes were so high. This world is litterally falling apart. This guy could be taking a pretty big risk.

Screw it...

Peter heads out to procure incense he would need to close the portal. He inquires about the composition of the insense while he is getting it. He tries to obtain a heafy supply (for a great deal of testing and practice if asked).
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:17 AM   #1343
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Peter has inquired about the incense composition before: a variety of sweet smelling substances will work. That doesn't stop people from specifying the "perfect" formula, but its a matter of debate.

He is given enough for about 50 uses.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-23-2023, 10:15 AM   #1344
the_matrix_walker

Peter stores about a third of the insence in his chambers.

He returns to Wharid's chamber, and sets about trying to close the portal... and open it again, and then he will pass through and try closing and opening it from the other side.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:08 PM   #1345
the_matrix_walker

Ammendment!

Peter will grab the american clothing he has while he is in his room and brings it with him.

After closing the portal from the "American" side, he will change clothes and head for the road at the crossing.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:03 AM   #1346
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Peter is working from default in this situation... This is another Ritual Magic. I'm setting the difficulty at average, not hard, because the real limitation is the "gift" rather than the skill. Time taken can increase effective skill, and the same skill works for both language and portals.

It takes a few tries, but Peter closes the portal. A few more tries, and he opens it. He steps through, and spends a lot more incense closing the portal, before changing into american clothes, and walking to the road.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:32 AM   #1347
the_matrix_walker

Peter looks for any signage, and if there is a train station around for those tracks... if so, he heads there, and if not, he will pick a direction and start walking and looking for signs of people and where they might be.

He will try hitch hiking if he sees vehicles...

If he can figure out where he is, he will see how far he is from Springfield Iowa, or South Carolina, to see about tracking down one of his American aquaintances.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 02-24-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:26 AM   #1348
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

There are no signs. The license plates are mostly Arizona and New Mexico.

The vehicles are passing by quite frequently, and its not too long before someone pulls over: Three men in a truck full of camping gear who haven't properly groomed in the last few days.

"Hey kid! how far you going! we're headed to Deming."

Old 02-27-2023, 10:57 PM   #1349
the_matrix_walker

When Peter sees the licence plates and realizes he's a thousand miles from the people he would want to talk to, he decides against trying to make the trek hitchhiking across the country.

He feels out to see if he can sense ant portals besides the one he came here through, and if not, he heads back and reopens the portal to Thuroma, changes back into his Emissary garb and head backs, and closes the portal again.

((Did all the Americans go back throught the same portal? Peter knows there is one that leads to a Burlington... does he know where the one that leads to any of his American freinds cities? If so, he'll try and get throught that way.))
Old 02-28-2023, 07:56 AM   #1350
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Peter reaches out his senses... he might be able to feel a portal if he gets further away from the one he just came from.

Peter methodically opens the portal, and closes it again.

The portals have a distinctly limited lifespan. Most of them last 2 to 5 days. The Americans went back through different portals.

Tags
lost in dreams