Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2023, 10:34 PM   #11
Pursuivant

Default Re: Walking speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
If you are looking at a military unit on the march vs solo hiker then the weather is arguably more important.
Especially over dirt roads. A small group on foot might be able to walk along a muddy road without doing too much damage to the roadbed. Any army of men on the move with churn up the mud and an army with vehicles and/or large animals will turn it into gumbo.

That's where you modify Hiking speeds (or general non-combat movement speeds) for weather and lower the Terrain Quality by 1+ steps.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:41 AM   #12
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Especially over dirt roads. A small group on foot might be able to walk along a muddy road without doing too much damage to the roadbed. Any army of men on the move with churn up the mud and an army with vehicles and/or large animals will turn it into gumbo.

That's where you modify Hiking speeds (or general non-combat movement speeds) for weather and lower the Terrain Quality by 1+ steps.
Or the grunts march off the road (accepting the loss of the 'road' bonus because by now it isn't a bonus) and make the local farmers really angry by chewing up they fields (but the guys who actually started it are going to be long gone by the time the farmer gets to do anything about it...).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:03 AM   #13
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
My experience is that if you haven't been doing it regularly there's a significant limit on how many hours you can manage; someone with moderate fitness and no hiking skill might manage 4 mph for an hour or 3 mph for several hours, but not for a full twelve hour day two days in a row.
True. I was at my peak fitness at that time.

And while I "traveled' for just over 12 hours a day, I didn't walk the whole time. I had rest stops every two to three hours. Basically I stopped for a break every time I hit a small town between cities. I didn't stop at all in Cocoa because my destination was only like 20-30 miles beyond and didn't want to waste time.

Back then I could do 5 miles an hour as a fast looping walk, and could keep it up few a few hours, but my general cruising speed was 4ish mph, and I could do that all day.

Our mass transit sucked, so I routinely had to walk home from the other side of the city, 20-30 miles, if I worked late or went somewhere on the weekends. Heck, because of the round about nature of the buss lines, it took just as long for me to walk the 20 miles to my FLGS than to bus, so I was doing that all the time.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote