Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #11
Maz

Default Re: Alternate attributes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Edit to add: I should note that my games are far from the hack-and-slash mold, so the benefits of IQ might be weighted differently than what others may be used to. My upcoming game's PCs are a two-man team of a scientist and an engineer.
This is pretty important. And here is why I think so:

With your rules:
IQ cost 20 pts and only grants bonus to IQ-skills. but many classical "smart people skill" are based on Perception (such as many social skills and nature skills). If you want to be good at both IQ and Per skills, you need to spend 30 pts per level. (Or 25 if you buy down Reaction to get Perception at 5 pts per level).

DX boost all Physical skills. Really, if you want to be a physical character (combat or stealthy or acrobatic) all you need is DX. But it also boost both Move and Reaction.
It cost 20 pts, but if you are only after it as a skill-booster, then you can buy down Move and Reaction at 5 pts per level and get DX! for only 10 pts per level.

So in you games. If you want a "smart person" you often need to pay 20-30 pts per "level". Where a Physical person need only pay 10-20 pts. per level.

This might not be a problem in your games at all. But it would be in a more Action or Dungeon Fantasy like game.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #12
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
I've got a house rules document I've been fiddling with on and off doing exactly this:
  • Strength (ST) is as per the Knowing Your Own Strength article in Pyramid 83.
  • Agility (AG) is gross physical gracefulness, covering things like Dancing, Stealth, &c.
  • Dexterity (DX) Is fine manual dexterity, covering things like Filch, Pickpocket, Sleight of Hand, some uses of Surgery and Lockpicking, &c.
  • Health (HT) is basically unchanged.
  • Charisma (CH) is "social intelligence" and general likeability. Reaction rolls become a standard success roll versus Charisma plus all applicable reaction modifiers, or substitute an appropriate Influence skill.
  • Intelligence (IQ) is "analytical intelligence" and general education, and basically unchanged other than reduction in scope.
  • Perception (PE) is "spatial intelligence" as well as general awareness and some degree of coordination. Obviously covers observational skills, but I'm also tentatively categorising long-range missile weapons under this (e.g., Guns, Bow, Crossbow, &c.).
  • Will (WL) is willpower, self-control, and volition. Most skills that use this won't change, but it also becomes the basic attribute for Stability Points (see Mad as Bones, Pyramid 103).

Given those attributes, all ±10 points/level (and I take the note from KYOS and charge a five-point Unusual Background for each attribute at 15 or ten for each attribute at 16), Basic Speed becomes (AG+PE)/4 (not rounded), while Basic Move becomes (AG+HT)/4 (rounded).
Basically, you are using Shadowrun 4e Attributes.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #13
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Basically, you are using Shadowrun 4e Attributes.
Haven't played Shadowrun 4e, but I am well aware there is no such thing as an original idea these days, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
Refplace

My thoughts on Attributes
https://refplace.blogspot.com/2018/0...-of-gurps.html
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #15
AlexanderHowl

I do not terribly mind the idea of alternate attributes as long as they have some use. The problem with having more than four attributes is that you start running into useless attributes unless the system is very well designed. Shadowrun 4e avoided this by making every attribute essential, even Strength is important despite it being a TL10^ setting because you can punch with the same damage as a sniper rifle, but I fail to see what makes the new attributes worthwhile using GURPS rules.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 03-11-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #16
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
[snip] If you want a real city, give it a population of 1 million, so that it can have several major employers.
Um... what? Did your post in this thread eat a response to another one, too?
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #17
AlexanderHowl

That is odd. That was an edit to another thread. I will fix it.

Tags
attributes