Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Varyon

Default [Pyramid #3.65] Natural Weapons and Parrying Unarmed Attacks

So, the Natural Weapons article from Pyramid #3.65 is pretty much my go-to replacement for things like Claws, Teeth, Strikers, and melee Innate Attacks. Now, obviously, a Natural Weapon with Cannot Parry is unable to function as an armed Parry against an unarmed attacks - although something like Aggressive Parry might allow them to come into play. As far as I can tell, however, Natural Weapons always function as, well, weapons when it comes to the enemy Parrying them - a Natural Weapon that does Swing damage is going to be more difficult to Parry unarmed, and Parrying Natural Weapons with an actual weapon doesn't cause Parrying Unarmed Attacks to come into play.

What is a fair way to change this? What sort of Limitation is appropriate to have a Swing-based Natural Weapon function as though it were Thrust-based for Parrying purposes, and what sort of Limitation is appropriate for a Natural Weapon to function as though the character were unarmed for purposes of being Parried? I'm currently leaning toward -10% to have Swing attacks downgraded to Thrust for Parrying purposes, and -20% to have strikes with Natural Weapons function as though the character were unarmed. Having Cannot Parry is probably required for the latter option. Thoughts?
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: [Pyramid #3.65] Natural Weapons and Parrying Unarmed Attacks

Where is thrust and swing parried differently in RAW? Just curious for my own research.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Where is thrust and swing parried differently in RAW? Just curious for my own research.
B376-377, under Parrying Unarmed. That gives a -3 to Parry weapons while unarmed with anything other than Judo or Karate, unless you're dealing with a thrust attack (in which case the -3 doesn't apply). MA124, under Harsh Realism for Unarmed Fighters, optionally expands this to all weapon attacks, regardless of if it's thrust or swing. In either case, I think a -10% is probably appropriate for Natural Weapons to not get this benefit, although I may be mistaken.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
B376-377, under Parrying Unarmed. That gives a -3 to Parry weapons while unarmed with anything other than Judo or Karate, unless you're dealing with a thrust attack (in which case the -3 doesn't apply). MA124, under Harsh Realism for Unarmed Fighters, optionally expands this to all weapon attacks, regardless of if it's thrust or swing. In either case, I think a -10% is probably appropriate for Natural Weapons to not get this benefit, although I may be mistaken.
Thank you. I don't have many unarmed people without Karate/Judo to remember things like that (I unfortunately do not have photographic memory advantage).
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid 3/65