Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
mlangsdorf

Default Continuing Alchemical Items and no Mana zones

Some alchemical potions have ongoing effects such as flight or invisibility. By the rules, the effects aren't in operation while the subject is in a no-mana zone. Do they resume when the subject leaves the no-mana zone?
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Continuing Alchemical Items and no Mana zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Some alchemical potions have ongoing effects such as flight or invisibility. By the rules, the effects aren't in operation while the subject is in a no-mana zone. Do they resume when the subject leaves the no-mana zone?
By the rules? It doesn't say.

In my games? It depends on how I set up the metaphysics for that campaign.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Well spells do (for durations and such) and since most elixirs are (essentially) spells in a material form I'd say yes.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Well spells do (for durations and such) and since most elixirs are (essentially) spells in a material form I'd say yes.
That's not entirely correct; spells susceptible to Dispel Magic are gone for good when the subject enters a No Mana Zone.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
That's not entirely correct; spells susceptible to Dispel Magic are gone for good when the subject enters a No Mana Zone.
Are elixers subject to Dispel Magic? That seems like the acid test.

Undrank elixers in bottles I presume are like magic items, and would not be destroyed by moving through a no mana area - just temporarily nulified.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Huh. Where does it say that at? My eyes must have glazed over at the reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

Undrank elixers in bottles I presume are like magic items, and would not be destroyed by moving through a no mana area - just temporarily nulified.
That's a exceedingly valid point and I have to wonder if in fact they are turned into mere expensive water when dispel magic hits them...I don't have the answer mind you. I wonder if someone should invoke a higher power here.

Its never actually come up in any game I ran which is really odd because two of my Players love playing the Alchemist types.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer
Huh. Where does it say that at? My eyes must have glazed over at the reference.
I think jeff means the Inset - Mana, on p6 of Magic. It's talking about "dispelling", rather than "Dispel Magic", though.

Personally, I kind of like the idea of treating the user/victim of an elixir as being under a limited type of Enchantment, so that NMZs suspend the effect (except for the Instant ones), but if you come out before the duration has expired, it picks up. If I were to guess, though, I'd say that the idea is probably to treat the effects as though they were spells with the listed type of Duration.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

I think that's a good analogy, esp with consumable items like scrolls. It also allows cool stuff like bootlegging elixirs across non-magical worlds.

That Other Game certainly considers potions to be magic items and IIRC Anti-Magic Shells only suppress, not dispel them, even when they are in effect. I'm inclined to say NMZ for GURPS elixirs ought to do the same, as the reaction is an ongoing continuing process rather than a single casting.

And it's neat for alchemists to squat in their NMZ/emergency eye wash station wondering if it is safe to come out yet after a lab mishap.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
It occurs to me that the interaction of Magic Resistance and elixirs might be a clue. From the description, the subject resists any elixir as though it were a spell being cast upon him. This seems to lend support to the idea that the effects of elixirs should be treated as though they were spells for the purpose of Dispel Magic, NMZs, and so on.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
Delcar

Quote:

And it's neat for alchemists to squat in their NMZ/emergency eye wash station wondering if it is safe to come out yet after a lab mishap.
...neatly tucked away behind a short brick wall.

FWIW, I do handle the entry as suspending the effect, but here's an odd thought - is it unfair to count the time in the NMZ against the duration?
  1. IF alchemy is an accelerated chemical process of some sort, THEN it should still run its course; say that potion that makes you run faster magically gives you a shot of magic adrenaline, then you should still be temporarily changed, and yes, the time count against it.
  2. IF the potion is a pure magical effect, then would a NMZ be more akin to a simple pause, where the duration is also suspended?

I can see #2 being used tactically, and to PCs' benefit, which as a GM, I'm morally against.
Delcar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alchemy, mana