Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Darekun

Default Re: Random Mana Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Oooh... I so want to do a game where Threshold is a function of sine. Too bad it won't work in Desolation Road, where Threshold represents reality resistance and is mostly constant.
You could have a limited area where, perhaps due to something large "pressing" on it from the other side, the reality resistance follows a sine.

(And if you want to throw in a bit of Lovecraft, let the PCs eventually discover that it's a heartbeat.)
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekun View Post
You could have a limited area where, perhaps due to something large "pressing" on it from the other side, the reality resistance follows a sine.

(And if you want to throw in a bit of Lovecraft, let the PCs eventually discover that it's a heartbeat.)
Oooh...Yes. Thank you.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
This appeals to me as then I can just use a sine function. Sines are so tidy :D
If you want some more fun, add in aspected/sanctity fluctuations as well.

So we're close to the Holy Feast day of Boreolis, when his priests are at +3 to their spells and all Fire and Light spells are at +6, good thing it doesn't coincide with the mourning days of Fiorin, when his priests are at -3 and all Earth and Necromantic spells are at -6.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
Bruno

I'm actually thinking about either a calendar of holy days, or another dice system for holy days, but if it's randomized I want results that produce "Nothing special" for about four days out of five. You can fit a lot of feast days on the calendar of a polytheistic world, but I'd rather locational taint or sacredness be a more dominant theme.

All magic stems from the blood of Mesos flowing beneath the earth, but active support by titanspawned races interfere with divine powers, and conversely the gods can reinforce an area against titanic influence.

#1 important bit of background lore is that titans that have been carved into pieces and scattered have not suffered a career ending injury...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #15
mlangsdorf

The system I use for West March is there are 34 domains, ranging from Single Combat to Insects to Good to Aberration. I roll for 1-3 domains to get High Sanctity and their opposed Domains to get Low Sanctity every day, and from the point of a PC, most days are normal days.

But the West March has many, many gods. So that model may not work for you.

My concern with having only 1 day in 5 be a Holy day is that your typical PC only has 3-4 domains that he's concerned with. If 1 in 5 days is Holy and there's ~30 domains, he'll only see a Holy day every 20 to 40 days on average. That may not be very exciting to the PC.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #16
Bruno

I was thinking more of specific divinities, out of a list of tenish. But you're right, that results in about one in 50 being interesting. I'll have to re-evaluate that.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, mana