Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Black Rose

Default Mana Enhancer with a Mana Damper Chaser

If you have a character with Magery 1 and Mana Enhancer 1 in a Normal Mana area, then what is the effect? As far as I can find, the only change between Normal and High Mana is that people who know spells but can't otherwise cast them now can cast them.

Also, assuming the character above, but wearing a device that simulated the effect of Mana Damper (lowers his personal mana level), what would be a good price for such a limitation? It basically negates the advantage, but only if an object is worn, almost like a reverse Mitigator.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Mana Enhancer with a Mana Damper Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
If you have a character with Magery 1 and Mana Enhancer 1 in a Normal Mana area, then what is the effect? As far as I can find, the only change between Normal and High Mana is that people who know spells but can't otherwise cast them now can cast them.
Well, any Powerstones in a high-mana area will recharge twice as fast (1 point/12 hours instead of 1 point/day). But yeah, there's not a whole heck of a lot of benefits for high mana for someone who is already a mage. Of course, the main benefit of Mana Enhancer isn't that - it's that you won't be penalized in low mana areas, and you can still cast something even in no mana areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose
Also, assuming the character above, but wearing a device that simulated the effect of Mana Damper (lowers his personal mana level),
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here. Does he have Mana-Enhancer, but he can cancel the effects with a ring or amulet or something? If that's the case, that's not a limitation at all, that's an enhancement, Switchable.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Diomedes

Quote:
About the only RAW difference to someone with Magery is that Powerstones on his person recharge every 12 hours instead of every day. Some of us have discussed possible other benefits for High Mana, though.

My suggestions (not mutually exclusive):
  • Move Mages up one step regarding rituals/casting time/energy cost (but not actual skill), and two levels in very high mana.
  • Give Mages Stable Casting in high mana.

Quote:
Also, assuming the character above, but wearing a device that simulated the effect of Mana Damper (lowers his personal mana level), what would be a good price for such a limitation? It basically negates the advantage, but only if an object is worn, almost like a reverse Mitigator.
That might not be possible; the text for Mana Damper prohibits Magery, and spellcasting regardless of the final mana level.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
pawsplay

The second case is, basically, Switchable with device modifiers applied to it.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
Black Rose

I feel very "durr" about the Mana Enhancer/Damper thing. that actually makes a lot of sense, and I have no idea why I couldn't see it.

I basically had this image of a world with a mana Level breakdown of:
No Mana: ~1%
Low Mana: ~25-27%
Normal Mana: ~55%
High Mana: ~16-19%
Very High Mana ~2%

So it's mostly Normal, and slightly more likely to be Low than High. And most of those High Mana areas are very hard to get to, either due to geographical inaccessibility, or because the people (sometimes a very loose term) don't want you to find them -- there's a small but thriving civilization in the middle of Antarctica, and an enormous number of "hidden valleys" all over the Earth.

Now, posit someone who was capable of acting in Low Mana areas as if they were in a Normal Mana area (Mana Enhancer 1). Which should mean that if he is in a Normal Mana area, he could act as if he were in a High Mana area, for whatever value that has. Since he'd usually be in Low to Normal Mana areas, just by the numbers, it would not be such a big deal.

However, if he were to enter a High Mana area, suddenly, it would be as if he were in a Very High Mana area. Which would be great, but scary as all heck, if you ask me. And what's supposed to happen after Very High Mana, anyway? Wild Mana? God-level Mana? Welcome to Underhill?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
Darekun

Quote:
And what's supposed to happen after Very High Mana, anyway? Wild Mana? God-level Mana? Welcome to Underhill?
Suddenly his spells don't cost mana in the first place. There's a marked increase in rolling behind the the GM's screen, though.

After a while, he figures out those aren't spell fumble rolls, those are Calamity Checks. He really should get at least a little Tally Recovery before he next visits the area, though.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose
And what's supposed to happen after Very High Mana, anyway? Wild Mana? God-level Mana? Welcome to Underhill?
I think the straight answer is "nothing". There isn't a level for ME to increase the ambient level to beyond VHM, just like nothing happens when a Mana Damper is in a No Mana Zone.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magery, mana, rules interpretation