Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #11
Aneirin

Default Re: FP to Skill Raise for 1 roll

How about Will (extra effort only - 30% or more) and buy up will to get you to will 16
Rules exemption perk (no nuisance roll for combat)
Rules exemption perk (No nuisance rolls for extra effort)
Rules exemption perk (can raise skill more than +4)

It would eat up a lot of the character sperks but should cost too much depending on what will he has already.
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
supersaiyandoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
How about Will (extra effort only - 30% or more) and buy up will to get you to will 16
Rules exemption perk (no nuisance roll for combat)
Rules exemption perk (No nuisance rolls for extra effort)
Rules exemption perk (can raise skill more than +4)

It would eat up a lot of the character sperks but should cost too much depending on what will he has already.
This is probably the best response for my question, as a lense is much quicker to make than an ability from scratch. Thanks for the help, although the cost for buying extra effort only will is -80%.

Last edited by supersaiyandoyle; 09-13-2013 at 07:29 PM.
supersaiyandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Psychotime

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersaiyandoyle View Post
I have, but I don't want the will roll, and it needs to not have the cap of 4.
What exactly are you trying to represent with the game's mechanics? Anything that involves spending FP for an added something sounds like Extra Effort to me.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #14
Domiel Angelus

Is this a magic campaign, modern, future? Where does it fit in the genres that GURPS can handle?

If you're looking for the simplest way in a magical realm go with Charm: (Boost *Insert Attribute*). It will boost the statistic just long enough for one skill roll, attack etc. The Charm waives the need for Magery other than Magery 0 if you wish to use it at any time. If its on a Clerical list you could do it via Charm with nothing at all extra.

Continuing with this you could additionally go with One Spell Magery (-80%) to increase your skill with the specific kind of Boost Spell. So you'd get an increase to how well you can use the specific spell at 2 points a piece as opposed to paying for Will at 5 points or IQ at 20 points. If you wanted all four of the Boost Spells you could buy Four Spell Magery (-65%) at 3.5/4 points per level and cover all of your bases for Statistical needs. For that though you'd have to use four perks for Charms : Boost Strength, Boost Intelligence, Boost Dexterity and Boost Health.

When you include the cost of Magery 0, you're paying 6 points for a single spell that you can use at any time for one fatigue. You'd be at a skill level of 8 to attempt casting it however so buying up your Intellect or the different versions of Magery is advised with this model. The alternative if your GM allows it would be to run your casting from your Willpower plus your Magery depending on how lenient they are.

The maximum statistical boost you'd receive is a 1 to 1 Fatigue to Statistic. The only downside to using it in this manner is that there is no reduction for skill on Boosting Spells. Its the closest in game answer I have for getting 1 skill point on a roll for a Fatigue point without trying to bring in House Rules, extra perks or messing with the Powers book.

Last edited by Domiel Angelus; 09-15-2013 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Added content
Domiel Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
supersaiyandoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiel Angelus View Post
Is this a magic campaign, modern, future? Where does it fit in the genres that GURPS can handle?

If you're looking for the simplest way in a magical realm go with Charm: (Boost *Insert Attribute*). It will boost the statistic just long enough for one skill roll, attack etc. The Charm waives the need for Magery other than Magery 0 if you wish to use it at any time. If its on a Clerical list you could do it via Charm with nothing at all extra.

Continuing with this you could additionally go with One Spell Magery (-80%) to increase your skill with the specific kind of Boost Spell. So you'd get an increase to how well you can use the specific spell at 2 points a piece as opposed to paying for Will at 5 points or IQ at 20 points. If you wanted all four of the Boost Spells you could buy Four Spell Magery (-65%) at 3.5/4 points per level and cover all of your bases for Statistical needs. For that though you'd have to use four perks for Charms : Boost Strength, Boost Intelligence, Boost Dexterity and Boost Health.

When you include the cost of Magery 0, you're paying 6 points for a single spell that you can use at any time for one fatigue. You'd be at a skill level of 8 to attempt casting it however so buying up your Intellect or the different versions of Magery is advised with this model. The alternative if your GM allows it would be to run your casting from your Willpower plus your Magery depending on how lenient they are.

The maximum statistical boost you'd receive is a 1 to 1 Fatigue to Statistic. The only downside to using it in this manner is that there is no reduction for skill on Boosting Spells. Its the closest in game answer I have for getting 1 skill point on a roll for a Fatigue point without trying to bring in House Rules, extra perks or messing with the Powers book.
It's for a magical campaign, but all spells have to be built as powers, and Magery is replaced with detect magic.

BTW, I'm the GM. The purpose of this thread is building a lense or power I can apply to PCs who receive a special boon from a god.
supersaiyandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
Last Pawn

Thought I'd throw in my nickle (we don't have pennies here). I've done this before using the following approach:

Rules Exemption Perk: Skill Functions As Power
This perk allows a skill, chosen at the time this perk is taken, to function as a power rather than a skill. To qualify for this perk the character must have at least 1 point already invested in the selected skill. The chosen skill may take any enhancements or limitations that the GM deems reasonable, with their usual costs and effects; however, all levels thus modified cost 4 points per level and never afford the character any benefits associated with having the skill at a specific level.

After that you'd just want to add Costs Fatigue at N where N is the number of levels purchased and use the Proportional Cost option from Powers.

Tags
abilities, affliction, fatigue, modular, skill