Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #21
Hide

Default Re: Drawing a handful of something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post

If it really matters, it is possible to learn to instantly pull more than one item from a container. Treat it as an Easy maneuver which cancels penalties to Fast Draw for attempting to draw multiple items at once. Historically, slingers used this technique to draw multiple bullets or stones from a pouch using their off hand, reducing reloading time.
It's also possible for archers to draw two arrows and hold the extra arrow between their ring and little fingers while drawing the bow with their first two fingers or a thumb ring.
Well, with a sling's (round) bullets you can ignore their shape when loading, the example also implies the user has a dedicated bag for bullets and for the sake of the technique you still need a fast-draw.

Regarding the arrows, it is implied that the user holds a dedicated bag for arrows and (probably) that the arrows are sorted in an orderly way. Given their shape, you could still take an “orderly” handful of arrows from your bag, but without a fast-draw (or something tied to it), the arrows surely won't be ready to shot.

I like the idea of making a technique to buy off successive fast-draw penalties; yet, I don’t think this will directly come up as an “easy maneuver”.

If doing so was easy, then there wouldn’t be any need for speed-loaders in our world; although, it could be possible in a cinematic setting: You draw a handful of bullets from your bag, then you drop them and catch everything with the gun’s barrel, ready to fire (like Dante from DMC). You could work something similar for the Terminator's shotgun speed-loading ability.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #22
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Pulling a handful of ammo is realistic, but inserting those into your gun might then be harder?

Maybe allow up to MoS (DX roll?) pieces of ammunition to be drawn as a single bunch as a single ready action
Any ideas on how to emulate "I wanted to grab 2 peanuts but I grabbed 3" situations where low-skill high-balls it?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #23
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Any ideas on how to emulate "I wanted to grab 2 peanuts but I grabbed 3" situations where low-skill high-balls it?
Pulling a handful of stuff as part of a ready maneuver shouldn’t be a matter of skill, unless you take a fast-draw. Consider that readying a weapon doesn't require a skill roll.

If you want to emulate that situation you could simply put into play that rule that increases the odds of critical success when the PC is very skilled, and allow a "you got a few extra peanuts because you did it like a pro" bonus.

Otherwise, IMO, it's just a ready maneuver (no skills) and a die toss to determine how good your handful of random stuff was. If you wanted to change it, you could spend your luck advatange (if available).
Old 09-06-2020, 11:18 PM   #24
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Pulling a handful of stuff as part of a ready maneuver shouldn’t be a matter of skill, unless you take a fast-draw.
Consider that readying a weapon doesn't require a skill roll.
I want rolls for everything :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
If you want to emulate that situation you could simply put into play that rule that increases the odds of critical success when the PC is very skilled, and allow a "you got a few extra peanuts because you did it like a pro" bonus.
No, the issue is I don't WANT the extra peanuts, I'm actually trying to avoid taking too many peanuts, I only want two, but sometimes I am clumsy and hastily grab three.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #25
Hide

Quote:
I want rolls for everything :)
If you want to control it, then it is successive fast-draws (with a specialization for peanuts). You could buy a perk, something similar to a “Combat Shtick” (skill adaptation), to surrogate peanut fast-drawing with knife fast-drawing.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #26
Plane

The thing about failed fast-draws is that just means you don't draw as much as you wanted, I don't know if there's a result to draw MORE than you wanted
Old 09-07-2020, 11:58 PM   #27
Hide

Quote:
The thing about failed fast-draws is that just means you don't draw as much as you wanted, I don't know if there's a result to draw MORE than you wanted
Well, the way I see it, if you want to draw exactly 2 peanuts then intention comes into play, hence the need of a skill.

Since the OP mentioned bullet-shells in their example I elaborated around the combat-oriented skill of fast-drawing; however, drawing a handful of stuff could also resolve with a "sleight of hand". If you fail, you blow the trick (and here you could either draw "more than" or "less than" the stuff you originally wanted... even "something else", depending on the "trick").

And maybe a sleight of hand gives you the chance to draw items in an "orderly way", which could save you a turn (considering my previous example).

Tags
high tech, raw, tactical shooting