Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2023, 08:20 PM   #1
VIVIT

Default [Basic Set] wording of irritating conditions

Most irritating conditions penalize attribute rolls in some way, but the way this is worded is inconsistent and contains some ambiguities if examined closely.
  • Coughing/Sneezing penalizes DX and IQ.
  • Drowsy and Drunk/Tipsy penalize DX, IQ, and self-control rolls.
  • Euphoria and Pain—and Agony if you have HPT—penalize DX, IQ, skill and self-control rolls.
  • Nausea penalizes all attribute and skill rolls, as well as defense rolls.
  • Retching (which is listed as an incapacitating condition but does let you act) penalizes DX, IQ, and Per.

The first thing I noticed is that Coughing/Sneezing and Retching don't say they penalize rolls, but rather that they penalize the attribute itself. Attribute penalties don't usually affect secondary characteristics, but the are exceptions, so I want to be sure.

The other thing I noticed is that Euphoria, Pain, Nausea, and Agony with HPT specifically mention skill rolls, but Coughing/Sneezing, Drowsy, Drunk/Tipsy, and Retching do not. I assume that does include skill rolls against the listed attributes. Is this the correct? What about the ones that penalize the Attribute, but not rolls against the attribute?

Also, all conditions that specifically penalize skill rolls also penalize both DX rolls and IQ rolls, but not all of them penalize HT rolls. What about HT-based skill rolls? Do these conditions penalize HT-based skill rolls but not HT-based non-skill rolls? What about rolls that can be made against HT or an HT-based skill?

Last edited by VIVIT; 04-11-2023 at 11:22 AM.
VIVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:00 PM   #2
tbone

Default Re: [Basic Set] wording of irritating conditions

It's worth noting that these conditions come up infrequently enough that somewhat disparate descriptions, interpreted (and maybe tweaked) by the GM on the fly as needed, aren't really a problem.

Still, I agree that it'd be nice to have more unified and clear descriptions and effects.

For many of the conditions, the rules might do well to offer a one-shot description of a generic "Incapacitation" in levels (say, Mild, Moderate, and Severe), with unified terms and effects, in enough detail to cover questions like yours. From there, conditions like Coughing, Pain, Retching, etc. could all access those core descriptions.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote