Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-09-2022, 10:01 AM   #21
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant Updated to Version 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk View Post
If we already had the beta installed, do we need to re-install the final version, or will it update itself?
The Beta Preview will *NOT* be updated. I'm not posting any updates of any kind to it.

Please install the official release version.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #22
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
I also bought the original on CD. For $16.00 I can buy the new version, and Armin has earned his share with all the work he has put into GCA over the years.
That's exactly my situation and what I did. Well worth it!
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:08 PM   #23
Steven Marsh

GURPS Character Assistant has been updated to Version 5 of GCA has received an update to squish a few bugs.

To quote one particularly important bit of the readme.txt:

"If you have previously installed a previous version of Version 5, you don't need to do anything special, nor do you need to uninstall the previous version of GCA5. This installer should provide a smooth install over the top of the previous one; it will detect the previous installation and install the new one right into the same place."

All previous purchasers via Warehouse 23 can download the updated installer from your Warehouse 23 download library.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:33 AM   #24
Phil Masters

Just to clarify - running "Check for Updates" from within the program no longer downloads a patcher to update just the files that need updating? All check boxes on that dialogue notwithstanding, we have to hand-download and install the complete new version every time there's a new release?

It's not a great inconvenience, but it's a change in behaviour from version 4 that confused me for a few hours.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:07 AM   #25
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
That's exactly my situation and what I did. Well worth it!
Likewise, especially as I can't find the old CD, so have no actual proof I bought the thing anyway. It seemed easier to just buy it anew, and I can afford to right now.

Now, whether I'll get the use out of it I'd like to is a different matter - my players are all cheapskates and thus use GCS.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:17 AM   #26
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Just to clarify - running "Check for Updates" from within the program no longer downloads a patcher to update just the files that need updating? All check boxes on that dialogue notwithstanding, we have to hand-download and install the complete new version every time there's a new release?

It's not a great inconvenience, but it's a change in behaviour from version 4 that confused me for a few hours.
That is correct. (Technically you had to hand-download and then run the GCA4 patcher also, but you didn't have to login to the store to get that.)

Actual patchers in the new world of Windows these days are freakishly expensive, and the old tech I had for GCA4 long since stopped being accessible to me.

Since GCA isn't free, I can't make the core program available through the Package Manager the same way I can books and plugins. So any updates to the core program will require access through a login system. It was the preference of the SJGames staff (they didn't want a third-party having access to logins) and me (since it would have been a lot more work) that I not create a custom browser to access Warehouse23 to get the new installer for any update and then run it automatically.*

For now, the best I can offer is a message that the update is available, and a link to your Download page at Warehouse 23. Maybe we'll be able to revisit that down the line.

* I did build a system for doing some of that, but it doesn't scale to the web store access with cookies and obfuscation system that most online stores use.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:54 PM   #27
Phil Masters

Okay, fair enough — thanks.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:39 PM   #28
seycyrus

I have GCA4, and I also just bought GCA5 and installed it.

When I run it, I get this error, but when dismissed GCA starts up without issue (that I can tell).

frmMain.InitPLugins: 457 Add Failed. Duplicate key value supplied.
Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Collection.Add(Object item, String Key, Object
Before, Object After)
at GCA5.frmMain.InitPlugins()

Any ideas what this might mean?

Last edited by seycyrus; 02-12-2022 at 05:43 PM.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:06 PM   #29
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by seycyrus View Post
I have GCA4, and I also just bought GCA5 and installed it.

When I run it, I get this error, but when dismissed GCA starts up without issue (that I can tell).

frmMain.InitPLugins: 457 Add Failed. Duplicate key value supplied.
Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Collection.Add(Object item, String Key, Object
Before, Object After)
at GCA5.frmMain.InitPlugins()

Any ideas what this might mean?
It means you have multiple plugins with the same name. It should not be related to GCA4 in any way.

That is most likely to happen if you have manually installed a plugin and also installed it with the Package Manager.

For example, Spring Bandit Sheet was available for manual install for a while, and could be put into your Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\plugins\ folder. However, if you install it from the Package Manager, that installs it into the system plugin folder, where it is loaded *first*, and that will cause this error when GCA then tries to load the one from Documents.

You should remove any such plugins from their place in Documents and let the Package Manager handle it once you've installed from there.

(NPC Record Card is another possible cause, as are either the Foundry or Fantasy Grounds export plugins, which I believe may be available through other means as well.)

ETA: To expand on this: GCA prints to the Logging pane as it finds and processes plugins. You can probably read through that to see which plugin it is finding and failing to load due to this error. I'm afraid I don't remember exactly what to look for at the moment.

Last edited by Armin; 02-12-2022 at 06:12 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:29 PM   #30
Steven Marsh

As of minutes ago, GCA5 has been updated to version 5.0.172. Previous purchasers can download the new version from their Warehouse 23 digital libraries.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote