Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective
 
Raekai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Default Access to Power Blow, Flying Leap, Enhanced Parry

How could I price access to the above traits?

My character wants to be super good with a spear, but Weapon Master is much too expensive for what this campaign is allowing. What would be a good way just to get access to those three abilities? Could I just use some level of Unusual Background? How much is that going to cost?

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Access to Power Blow, Flying Leap, Enhanced Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
How could I price access to the above traits?

My character wants to be super good with a spear, but Weapon Master is much too expensive for what this campaign is allowing. What would be a good way just to get access to those three abilities? Could I just use some level of Unusual Background? How much is that going to cost?

Thanks!
The Unusual Training perk will do this. It's 1 point per perk.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Gurps Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Japan
Default Re: Access to Power Blow, Flying Leap, Enhanced Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
The Unusual Training perk will do this. It's 1 point per perk.
At first I come up with Unusual Training perk (PU 2, p. 21), but this perk only allows realistic-looking, downgraded version of cinematic skills/techniques (such as Breaking Blow only usable for non-combat tameshiwari). Since the OP wants to be "super good with a spear", there should be an Unusual Background that lets him buy full-fledged cinematic skills/techniques. I'd call it a 10-point Unusual Background, the same as "UB (Access to secret hand-toughening exercises) [10]" (Martial Arts, p. 42), which enables a human to buy Claws or Striker advantage as a result of some esoteric training.

And long time no see ^^;;
__________________
Gurps Fan,
a rules lawyer from the mysterious country of ninja, samurai, and magical girls,
the inventor of M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Access to Power Blow, Flying Leap, Enhanced Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
At first I come up with Unusual Training perk (PU 2, p. 21), but this perk only allows realistic-looking, downgraded version of cinematic skills/techniques (such as Breaking Blow only usable for non-combat tameshiwari). Since the OP wants to be "super good with a spear", there should be an Unusual Background that lets him buy full-fledged cinematic skills/techniques. I'd call it a 10-point Unusual Background, the same as "UB (Access to secret hand-toughening exercises) [10]" (Martial Arts, p. 42), which enables a human to buy Claws or Striker advantage as a result of some esoteric training.

And long time no see ^^;;
Agreed! Long time no see, I was a tad worried since you hadn't posted in a while and then Japan had all those natural disasters back to back...I'm glad to see you back! ^_^

As for Unusual Training the actual text says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power-Ups 2
You’ve studied one of these. Unusual Training lets you buy a cinematic capability in a realistic campaign, or without a prerequisite advantage such as Gunslinger, Trained by a Master, or Weapon Master.

Ghostdancer
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Gurps Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Japan
Default Re: Access to Power Blow, Flying Leap, Enhanced Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Agreed! Long time no see, I was a tad worried since you hadn't posted in a while and then Japan had all those natural disasters back to back...I'm glad to see you back! ^_^
Thank you for being concerned about me and my country. Fortunately, there was little damage in my home town. I've lately been just very busy with my real-life job. I'm not sure when I'll be back to this forum again. T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
As for Unusual Training the actual text says:
Martial Arts, p. 52 says: "Unusual Training is an Unusual Background that lets you buy a cinematic capability without Trained by a Master or Weapon Master.", and take some examples such as non-combat Breaking Blow, etc. I think that what Unusual Training perk allows is a "beliebably restricted" version of cinematic skills, not full-fledged ones. PU 2, p. 21 also takes "Dual-Weapon Attack, Both attacks must target the same foe" and "Musical Influence, Only on tame pets" for example, as opposed to simple, full-time "Dual-Weapon Attack" and "Musical Influence".
__________________
Gurps Fan,
a rules lawyer from the mysterious country of ninja, samurai, and magical girls,
the inventor of M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Access to Power Blow, Flying Leap, Enhanced Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
Thank you for being concerned about me and my country. Fortunately, there was little damage in my home town. I've lately been just very busy with my real-life job. I'm not sure when I'll be back to this forum again. T_T
We'll I'm glad to hear you're fine! :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
Martial Arts, p. 52 says: "Unusual Training is an Unusual Background that lets you buy a cinematic capability without Trained by a Master or Weapon Master.", and take some examples such as non-combat Breaking Blow, etc. I think that what Unusual Training perk allows is a "beliebably restricted" version of cinematic skills, not full-fledged ones. PU 2, p. 21 also takes "Dual-Weapon Attack, Both attacks must target the same foe" and "Musical Influence, Only on tame pets" for example, as opposed to simple, full-time "Dual-Weapon Attack" and "Musical Influence".
For worlds with TBAM or WM, you can purchase a cinematic skill for only a perk. See this thread, and this post in particular.

Ghostdancer
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Access to Power Blow, Flying Leap, Enhanced Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Weapon Master is much too expensive for what this campaign is allowing.
Nobody so far has mentioned that Weapon Master for spears only is 20 points. Is that out of court?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Access to Power Blow, Flying Leap, Enhanced Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Nobody so far has mentioned that Weapon Master for spears only is 20 points. Is that out of court?
Good point. And if you have a specific spear (via Sig Gear or whatever) you can drop this down to 15 points...
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
Gurps Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Japan
Default Re: Access to Power Blow, Flying Leap, Enhanced Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
For worlds with TBAM or WM, you can purchase a cinematic skill for only a perk. See this thread, and this post in particular.
I see, then, I agree with you. I assumed a "realistic" game world in which TBAM and WM are both nonexistent. In such a world, Unusual Training perk [1] should only allow "believable" versions of cinematic skills. For worlds with TBAM or WM, a perk-level UB should be sufficient to buy fully functional cinematic skills.
__________________
Gurps Fan,
a rules lawyer from the mysterious country of ninja, samurai, and magical girls,
the inventor of M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Access to Power Blow, Flying Leap, Enhanced Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
I see, then, I agree with you. I assumed a "realistic" game world in which TBAM and WM are both nonexistent. In such a world, Unusual Training perk [1] should only allow "believable" versions of cinematic skills. For worlds with TBAM or WM, a perk-level UB should be sufficient to buy fully functional cinematic skills.
Agreed. And I'd use the 10-pt UB you suggested in such worlds WITHOUT TBAM or WM, it just makes good sense.

^_^

Ghostdancer
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enhanced parry, flying leap, power blow, unusual background, weapon master

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.