Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
Michael Thayne
 
Michael Thayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Default Demon from Between the Stars: what is "darkness"

For purposes of the Demon from Between the Stars' Chameleon ability, what is "darkness"? Presumably not restricted to total darkness, or their ability would be pointless. But are they really meant to seemingly vanish given even -1 in darkness penalties? Really wish the wording had been clearer.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #2
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Demon from Between the Stars: what is "darkness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
For purposes of the Demon from Between the Stars' Chameleon ability, what is "darkness"? Presumably not restricted to total darkness, or their ability would be pointless. But are they really meant to seemingly vanish given even -1 in darkness penalties? Really wish the wording had been clearer.
A skim through the Exploits book suggests a darkness penalty of -4 or more. That's outside 3x the radius of light sources, and means bringing lights towards them is useful.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
Michael Thayne
 
Michael Thayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Default Re: Demon from Between the Stars: what is "darkness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
A skim through the Exploits book suggests a darkness penalty of -4 or more. That's outside 3x the radius of light sources, and means bringing lights towards them is useful.
Does Exploits say that explicitly, or are you just inferring that from the fact that light sources give -3 out to 3x the listed radius? For what it's worth I tried finding something like that in Exploits but could not, but maybe you're better at skimming than I am.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Demon from Between the Stars: what is "darkness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
For purposes of the Demon from Between the Stars' Chameleon ability, what is "darkness"? Presumably not restricted to total darkness, or their ability would be pointless. But are they really meant to seemingly vanish given even -1 in darkness penalties? Really wish the wording had been clearer.
'Partial Darkness' is defined at vision penalties of -1 to -9 (Exploits p9), so apparently yes, they fade at a -1 in darkness penalties, though there's also specific references in the Demon from Between the Stars of darkness penalties of -5 being significant.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
Michael Thayne
 
Michael Thayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Default Re: Demon from Between the Stars: what is "darkness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
'Partial Darkness' is defined at vision penalties of -1 to -9 (Exploits p9), so apparently yes, they fade at a -1 in darkness penalties, though there's also specific references in the Demon from Between the Stars of darkness penalties of -5 being significant.
Are you referring to this line?:
Quote:
Against victims who canít ignore ‑5 or more in darkness penalties, they may attempt Backstabbing (Exploits, pp. 57-58) repeatedly in the dark!
I saw that line but found it rather cryptic. Not really sure what it means.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Demon from Between the Stars: what is "darkness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Are you referring to this line?:

I saw that line but found it rather cryptic. Not really sure what it means.
I was referring to that line, and yes, I found it cryptic too. My guess is that's an unstated rule "vision penalty -10 = invisible", so chameleon 5 means invisible if there's another -5 elsewhere, but it's certainly not stated anywhere.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #7
Michael Thayne
 
Michael Thayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Default Re: Demon from Between the Stars: what is "darkness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I was referring to that line, and yes, I found it cryptic too. My guess is that's an unstated rule "vision penalty -10 = invisible", so chameleon 5 means invisible if there's another -5 elsewhere, but it's certainly not stated anywhere.
Hmmm, maybe? Or maybe it's saying that things like Night Vision help counteract the Chameleon variant, because it's darkness-based? Rather confusing.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
benz72
 
benz72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chagrin Falls
Default Re: Demon from Between the Stars: what is "darkness"

Not in anyway based on cannon, but I had a passing thought that some sneaky monsters like this might be able to double darkness penalties to detect them. It might make the mechanics easier, and tracks for -5 being totally invisible.
__________________
Benundefined
Life has a funny way of making sure you decide to leave the party just a few minutes too late to avoid trouble.
benz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
darkness penalties

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.