Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #151
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Well, she doesn't have hacking, so she can't go riffling through email using hardware access. There is SOME physical mail people are getting, though not much, and speed of information transfer might lean against that.


I'm trying to think of other things that could be useful to check during a bombing raid.
Yeah, I have no ideas either. I'll go with staying in the bunker then.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #152
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Is there room for two? If so I will take his form and memorize it...
There is room for two... nice! you can now impersonate him!


Quote:
After inspecting the sarcophagus, Vassarious will go looking for the high priests in hope of some eaves dropping... If he is unable to locate them, he will head back to his room.
Merely looking around the palace for them blindly won't locate them... do you have a more specific plan to find them?



Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Yeah, I have no ideas either. I'll go with staying in the bunker then.
General Rubrum talks the entire time. Half of the conversation is to other generals and the local military staff. The other half is him grumbling to his security detail about the attack. The bombs are being targeted very well, but the planes don't seem to know what is in what building. Sample grumbles:

"Just let us hunker down, Vincio. They have local superiority."

"Hah! they went after arms decoys! Told them the fakes were worth it!"

"They're ignoring that part of the city because there's a cloud there. Obviously. Not because they want 400 yard radius around any traitors. Idiot."

"Launch the attack already! This is the perfect moment. Infrastructure, my <long and colorful expression>"

"He's forgetting we're not on the front lines"

From the sound of things, a lot of damage is being done to the base. The bunkers seem to be same though. Halcyone has a thought flash through her head that its weird that they used planes and not rockets. And that she's glad this place doesn't have nuclear weapons.

The bombing raid is declared over. Rubrum stays in his bunker working for another three hours, and then goes back to bed. He says he'll be having a short day tomorrow: if everyone wants to sleep in the afternoon, they probably can.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:22 PM   #153
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
There is room for two... nice! you can now impersonate him!
There we go, adventure solved. Find a way to stash the emperor away somewhere, stage rising back up, and you could end the war in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
From the sound of things, a lot of damage is being done to the base. The bunkers seem to be same though. Halcyone has a thought flash through her head that its weird that they used planes and not rockets. And that she's glad this place doesn't have nuclear weapons.
Hm... I should ask around about the planes as opposed to rockets (not the nukes, that might cause a bad problem):
Quote:
[78] 21-09-01 20:07:48 BST
Memetics!
3d6 <= 15
1 + 3 + 3 = 7 ... success
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The bombing raid is declared over. Rubrum stays in his bunker working for another three hours, and then goes back to bed. He says he'll be having a short day tomorrow: if everyone wants to sleep in the afternoon, they probably can.
I bet my "Light Sleeper" is triggered:
Quote:
[79] 21-09-01 20:18:37 BST
HT Rolls to Sleep
3d6 <= 13
1: 3 + 6 + 3 = 12 ... success
2: 6 + 5 + 6 = 17 ... failure
3: 3 + 1 + 2 = 6 ... success
Well the first succeeded so no extra lost sleep. I like to work hard, so I'll decline to sleep in the afternoon:
Quote:
[80] 21-09-01 20:22:08 BST
Will Roll to stay awake
3d6 <= 11
1 + 5 + 6 = 12 ... failure
That went about as expected.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #154
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Rather than go searching, Vassarious reconsiders and spends a little more time in the sarcophagus. They will see if they can feel any of the magics influencing them while in the form of Maximus, and then will return to their air elemental form and buffet Maximus with some winds to see if they can shake him awake (and so he can fly away if there are any unforeseen consequences to that).


From what they have seen and read, Vassarious gives some thought to the triggers that are likely in place to wake Maximus, and if there may be an alternative path to rousing him rather than the standard settings. Has he gained enough understanding to disrupt the workings of this magic in some way that may wake the Emporer outside of his usual alarm clock?

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 09-02-2021 at 05:28 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #155
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Hm... I should ask around about the planes as opposed to rockets (not the nukes, that might cause a bad problem):
Her research reveals the planes are there to pick up targets: the imperials don't have control of the survey satellites over Lithus: they have to fly missions in order to get reconnaissance. Combine the need to get the data back and the need to fly a fighter screen, its more efficient to send the smart bombs on planes than to use long-range rockets.


Halcyone falls asleep in the afternoon after the long night. Rubrum is also asleep, which makes this sleep excusable. The man is very engaged... the raid seems to have energized the entire base, one way or another.



Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Rather than go searching, Vassarious reconsiders and spends a little more time in the sarcophagus. They will see if they can feel any of the magics influencing them while in the form of Maximus, and then will return to their air elemental form and buffet Maximus with some winds to see if they can shake him awake (and so he can fly away if there are any unforeseen consequences to that).
Vassarious feels himself connected to this palace complex... he feels the deep desires of the emperor... to rule... to observe from afar... to preserve the memory of his home... to not interfere unless necessary...


Vassarious has hardly buffeted the man when the eyes flicker open. A strong hand lifts the stone lid, and he sits up. He is grey as a corpse and dressed in finery "I awake. Destroy this intruder."


The soldiers nearby look around for what intruder is being spoken of. The priests standing by with the food and books start reacting almost mechanically, bowing down and moving towards the sarcophagus.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:11 PM   #156
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Spoiler:  


Vassarious retreats to the corridor, trying to keep in a subtle spot out of the room where he can still observe what happens next, but also be in a position to beat a hasty retreat if needs be.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #157
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious retreats to the corridor, trying to keep in a subtle spot out of the room where he can still observe what happens next, but also be in a position to beat a hasty retreat if needs be.
Air elemental are see-through, but not invisible. This helps them sneak, and gives Vassarious a moment to start retreating, but the emperor repeats his order: "Shoot the Wind Creature!".



There are 12 guards present: two of each soldier race, plus four humans. Half are armed with ancient weapons, half with modern. The guards spring into action around their emperor, with the ones with ancient weapons rushing to surround him.



Two of the guards open up fire, three aim their weapons, and the big bull soldier selects some setting on his grenade launcher. To be specific: One human aims their assault carbine, while the other sends a wild stream of bullets at V. The Bull-soldier has a massive grenade launcher, and he's selecting some setting on it. The bird-soldier has leapt into the air, but seems to be sighting in anyways. The snake-soldier has a heavier storm carbine, and fires away at V. The cat soldier has an assault carbine and takes a turn to aim it.


15 yards away is a -5 to hit. The number of bullets fired gives the assualt carbine +3 and the storm carbine +2. The Guard's base skills are 15 (the human) and 17 (the snake).



Two bullets hit, one from each shooter. simple dodges can negate each one. More bullets are incoming...
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #158
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Halcyone falls asleep in the afternoon after the long night. Rubrum is also asleep, which makes this sleep excusable. The man is very engaged... the raid seems to have energized the entire base, one way or another.
After waking up, Halcyone briefly daydreams about what V's doing before heading back to work.

(OOC: I'm not ignoring the thread, I'm just waiting around for either of my long tasks to complete or something to interrupt.)
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #159
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Code:
Dodge 10
Ist Dodge: 1 : 3 + 3 + 2 = 8 Sucess by 2.
2nd Dodge: 1 : 6 + 6 + 4 = 14. Fail by 4.

The Air Elemental flees and throws up a 'Twister' between itself and the guards to distract them and hamper their view. It flies down the corridor and hides in the high ceilings trying to lose any pursuers before returning to Vassarious' room. (( Move and Attack ))


Spoiler:  

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 09-09-2021 at 01:21 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #160
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
(OOC: I'm not ignoring the thread, I'm just waiting around for either of my long tasks to complete or something to interrupt.)
Yeah, I think we're due for a synch up and swapping of information. Thank you for your patience


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Code:
Dodge 10
1st Dodge: 1 : 3 + 3 + 2 = 8 Sucess by 2.
2nd Dodge: 1 : 6 + 6 + 4 = 14. Fail by 4.
The Air Elemental flees and throws up a 'Twister' between itself and the guards to distract them and hamper their view. It flies down the corridor and hides in the high ceilings trying to lose any pursuers before returning to Vassarious' room. (( Move and Attack ))
The additional blasts of air distract the guards who weren't aiming at V, and their bullets are sprayed elsewhere. The second human guard doesn't shoot, presumably confused by the happenings.

Bullets do find their way towards V though, fired by the bird guard and cat guard. Dodge 2 bullets, and dodge 3 bullets.

None of those damage amounts are enough to stop V, and the air elemental escapes into the open sky. An alarm goes off, and soldiers go on high alert. V is able to loose them (tradecraft 14 rolled a 12) and return to their room. There are soldiers already in the room, searching both by hand and with strange scanning devices V doesn't recognize.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.