Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2022, 08:29 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Bio-tech 4e] What's outdated?

Bio-tech might be too positive about some TL8 stuff like Modafinal and TL8 "Smart Drugs". Some of that might even go back to the 3e version.

Some other things are retro in basic concept like Muscle Grafts but those go back to G:Cyberpunk.

Mostly though, things like CRISPR are just the names for the rungs on the ladder. They don't change where the ladder goes.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:55 AM   #12
SilvercatMoonpaw

I think I found another change, albeit possibly minor: the book still holds with the human appendix having no function, but there have been propositions that it does things such as repopulate gut bacteria after they've been flushed out by diseases such as cholera and dysentery.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
I think I found another change, albeit possibly minor: the book still holds with the human appendix having no function, but there have been propositions that it does things such as repopulate gut bacteria after they've been flushed out by diseases such as cholera and dysentery.
That's at the"We wait untilt hey change the text books" level. Somebody proposed a theory would only have been relevant to a hypothetical section on what the appendix "might" be good for.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:09 AM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
There have been propositions but nothing generally accepted. You could change it to "no known function".
Old 07-01-2022, 10:28 AM   #15
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There have been propositions but nothing generally accepted. You could change it to "no known function".
Okay: wasn't sure.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:42 PM   #16
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Personally, I've suspected my own appendix was still partially functional ever since it was removed - the doctor noted it was roughly 3x the size of a typical appendix (and not on account of inflammation), and I never really got quite back up to the same level of energy I had before it went rogue and tried to murder me (hence needing to have it removed). That could easily be psychosomatic, or be due to other completely-unrelated reasons.

But, yeah, at best Bio Tech could have said something like "the appendix has no known function in humans, but some ideas of what it might do are..."
Old 07-01-2022, 02:14 PM   #17
David Johnston2

In any case the utility of one's appendix in a roleplaying game is...dubious.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:18 PM   #18
Rupert

I'd tend to put that under a statement saying something like "A common side effect of major abdominal or thoracic surgery is the loss of a level of Fitness or of a level of HT, particularly if the character's post-operative recovery doesn't include a sustained effort to recover full fitness."

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:58 AM   #19
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
We got lately a new way of producing vaccines using mRNA a offshot off research for cancer therapies. Actually run adaptions using mRNA tech against cancer cells in the living body.

We can print now some body tissues via 3D printer, the tech is in the beginning but shows great promises. Working organs are actually not possible.
I would call these likely TL 9 technologies that are now in development/prototype stage, not TL 8.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #20
Willy

By the way CRISPR is according to a new article even more precise, it can now cut out just the defective gene in the affected DNA strand.

That means we have a method for germline intervention to eliminate heriditary diseases which can enter prototype stage.

Not to mention that we will be able, after some research, to add and eliminate body characteristics like eye colour, size, skin colour, gender and other things - once we precisely find out which genes do exactly which things, just having a clear mapping of the genome is not enough and some traits have multiple genes who influence them.

While we may do it with plants and animals, there will be hard discussions about ethic if used to modify humans. elinminating heriditary diseases is just the most consensual of this problems.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote