Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-07-2022, 10:13 AM   #1
agentJ

Default coloring the counters

I was wondering if anyone thought about coloring the counters? If so, what do you use to color them?
agentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: coloring the counters

Yes! Counters with colored backgrounds makes it very easy to distinguish sides in skirmishes.

The easiest way to do this is to use the PDF of the counters. Save a counter as an image and use a photo editor like Photoshop to either change the white background or to copy just the figure and paste onto a background of choice.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
Skarg

I've tried a few things.

I mainly use black & white home-made counters, and I tend to stick to black on the figure images themselves, but I sometimes color the ID letter/number, which can be used to make it clear at a glance which faction or squad each figure belongs to, when there are many figures in play.

If using a color printer to make home-made counters, I might also print the figure image as well as the ID in a color, but I'd tend to use a darkish color, so it's not washed-out.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:36 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

I might suggest coloring only the border. I've got some color counters with different backgrounds and they tend to obscure the core art a bit. But with just an outline on the border, it distinguishes sides as noted, keeps the black-on-white contrast of the line art as well.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:50 PM   #5
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I might suggest coloring only the border. I've got some color counters with different backgrounds and they tend to obscure the core art a bit. But with just an outline on the border, it distinguishes sides as noted, keeps the black-on-white contrast of the line art as well.
That's a great idea, Douglas!
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 10:02 PM   #6
tanyakurda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I've tried a few things.

I mainly use black & white home-made counters, and I tend to stick to black on the figure images themselves, but I sometimes color the ID letter/number, which can be used to make it clear at a glance which faction or squad each figure belongs to, when there are many figures in play Donkey Kong.

If using a color printer to make home-made counters, I might also print the figure image as well as the ID in a color, but I'd tend to use a darkish color, so it's not washed-out.
Love your idea.
tanyakurda is offline   Reply With Quote